Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Any special tips for reverse bleeding front brake 2010 softail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 08:33 PM
Adam76
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
I had a hell of a time bleeding the front Brembos during my rebuild.
I tried reverse bleeding and just kept making a mess.
Ended up buying a totally different suction pump to finally get the draw needed to pull out all the air.
https://a.co/d/3jvgkoI
Thanks, I'll look into that. Shipping to Australia might take a while. Good idea though.

The following users liked this post:
07UltraGuy (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 08:43 PM
07UltraGuy
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,309 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam76
Thanks, I'll look into that. Shipping to Australia might take a while. Good idea though.
I’m sure there’s something similar “down there”!
😂

Old 04-25-2024, 09:32 PM
PeterB
Road Captain
Received 802 Likes on 361 Posts

You should be able to reverse bleed with a syringe from the bottom. I do it that way all the time.
Have the bleed nipple on the caliper cracked open half a turn or so.
Have the lid off the master cylinder reservoir but keep a thick rag over it to stop splashes etc.
Suck all the fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir so it is empty.
Leave the handlebar lever untouched, full out, as if you were riding down the road not braking at all.
When you push the syringe fluid should travel up the system and fill up the master cylinder reservoir.
If you cant push the syringe in, something must be blocked. Most likely the bleed nipple needs backing out some more.
If not, take the bleed nipple out and try blowing through it to make sure it is not a speed bleed nipple that flows only one way.
If still no good, disconnect the brake hose from the master cylinder and see if you can pump fluid through to there with your syringe from the caliper bleed nipple. If fluid comes out there, you know the blockage is in the master cylinder assembly.
Most likely blockage point is the two teeny tiny little drilled holes between the master cylinder bore and the reservoir. You can try poking a thin wire off a wire brush through there to clear it. But really, the mastercylinder should be taken apart and cleaned and a rebuild kit put in.

On the other hand, if you cant pump fluid through with the syringe when the hose is disconnected from the master cylinder, the blockage must be somewhere in lines so just keep disconnecting at the joints along the line and find where the point is that you can pump fluid through and then replace the blocked lines. Lines swell up with age and sometimes the hole in the middle gets closed up and blocks the flow.

If all else fails, disconnect the line from the caliper and reverse bleed until all air it out of the caliper, then connect the first section of hose to the caliper and bleed the air out of that line, then connect up the next section and reapeat until you get all the way up to the mastercylinder and then bleed as per first paragraph above.

Last edited by PeterB; 04-25-2024 at 09:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
07UltraGuy (04-25-2024)