Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

New '24 Breakout, loose fork stem screw

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 10:42 PM
24Breakout
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New '24 Breakout, loose fork stem screw

Hey folks... I'd appreciate it if any of the wrenchers could give me some input here. I just noticed that the washer around the fork stem screw on my 2024 Breakout was spinning freely, and the screw itself was quite loose.... not finger loose, but definitely not where it's supposed to be. I torqued it to spec. The pinch bolt just below that washer was torqued properly, but there's a pretty big gap there. Is that normal? Bike is new, ~850 miles on her. No noticeable handling issues. Was planning on taking it in for the 1K service this weekend anyway. I will definitely be mentioning all the above when I take it in... just not sure how big a deal I should make of it, if at all. I'm no mechanic, but it is the steering column... I like the bike to go where I point it 🤣

Thoughts?

Last edited by 24Breakout; 04-30-2024 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:44 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 212 Likes on 137 Posts

The center bolt is used to preload the steering head bearings. There isn't a spec to tighten it to, it's tightened or loosened to get the correct steering head bearing adjustment. Having said that after I adjust the bearings, and tighten the pinch bolt, I do snug the center bolt down so it doesn't vibrate loose. You can completely remove the center bolt after the pinch bolt is tight, it doesn't do anything at that point. It's not HD at its best, virtually every other manufacturer uses a double nut arrangement for the steering stem.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:11 AM
24Breakout
Novice

Originally Posted by Tozco
The center bolt is used to preload the steering head bearings. There isn't a spec to tighten it to, it's tightened or loosened to get the correct steering head bearing adjustment. Having said that after I adjust the bearings, and tighten the pinch bolt, I do snug the center bolt down so it doesn't vibrate loose. You can completely remove the center bolt after the pinch bolt is tight, it doesn't do anything at that point. It's not HD at its best, virtually every other manufacturer uses a double nut arrangement for the steering stem.
Thanks...I'll take your word for it, a mechanic I'm not. But there is a torque spec in the manual for that bolt, two in fact. Page 3-81:
"Fork stem screw, 1st torque 160-168 in-lbs, loosen, then final tighten fork stem screw to 62-68 in-lbs."

Maybe it's not accomplishing anything, but there is a procedure for it. Who knows...

Old 05-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Tozco
Road Captain

Interesting! You should be good then. My 2018 FXLR Softail Lowrider has the procedure I mentioned, but maybe I missed the initial assembly torque spec. Out of curiosity, see what your service manual says about adjustment procedure of steering bearings.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:24 AM
24Breakout
Novice

Interesting! You should be good then. My 2018 FXLR Softail Lowrider has the procedure I mentioned, but maybe I missed the initial assembly torque spec. Out of curiosity, see what your service manual says about adjustment procedure of steering bearings.
As you suggested, I looked up the procedure for adjusting the bearings. Front tire off the ground, bars turned all the way left, then pulling from the front axel bolt, measure how much force is required to pull the wheel straight ahead. And the like you said, that bolt is tightened or loosened depending on which direction the aforementioned force measurement is out of spec. My question is if that bolt adjusts the load on the bearings, how is it possible that you could just back it out completely after the pinch bolt is tightened? Wouldn't that leave the bearings rattling around loose inside the stem? I ask because even after snuggjng the center bolt down, ~ 150 miles later it was backing off again. Washer is spinning freely again. I mentioned this to the service guys when the bike had it's 1K service last week, and was assured that they checked it and all was normal. Was snug when I picked the bike up, now it's loose again. I'm not thrilled about it.

Thanks!

Last edited by 24Breakout; 05-10-2024 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:22 AM
Tozco
Road Captain

We are slowly getting on the same page because I found the torque values for assembling the front end that you listed above for my bike in the manual. I wasn't aware of the procedure because It isn't part of the check and adjust section, thanks.
Now back to the bolt. It's function is to draw the top triple clamp down to take up the play in the bearings and establish bearing preload. When you tighten the top tree pinch bolts that Is what holds and keeps the thing together.
Someone in engineering at HD is a cyclist because this is exactly how a Threadless Stern functions. The center bolt is there to affect the adjustment only. The stem pinch bolts are what keep the assembly tight.
You could put a dab of blue loctite on the center bolt. Just make sure your bearing adjustment stays correct and it really is just the center bolt vibrating loose. Is there undue vibration?

Old 05-12-2024, 10:42 AM
Tozco
Road Captain

I've had mine apart for maintenance. It's pretty bare Bones. It isn't like the old threaded type stems, It Is a threadless design. Center bolt functions to draw assembly together to get proper preload. Pinch bolts hold the adjustment.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:03 AM
24Breakout
Novice
Talking

We are slowly getting on the same page because I found the torque values for assembling the front end that you listed above for my bike in the manual. I wasn't aware of the procedure because It isn't part of the check and adjust section, thanks.
Now back to the bolt. It's function is to draw the top triple clamp down to take up the play in the bearings and establish bearing preload. When you tighten the top tree pinch bolts that Is what holds and keeps the thing together.
Someone in engineering at HD is a cyclist because this is exactly how a Threadless Stern functions. The center bolt is there to affect the adjustment only. The stem pinch bolts are what keep the assembly tight.
You could put a dab of blue loctite on the center bolt. Just make sure your bearing adjustment stays correct and it really is just the center bolt vibrating loose. Is there undue vibration?
Thanks, I have a better understanding of how the whole assembly functions now...and no, there's no unusual vibration. No handling symptoms of any kind. It's as stable as anything I've ever ridden. Fwiw, I took it back to the dealer over the weekend, and the mechanic basically gave me the same description of things as you have, lol...actually he said the exact same thing you did above, that once the bearing adjustment is made and the pinch bolts are tightened, you could remove the center bolt entirely without adversely affecting anything. Either way, they torqued it down again, and I've put about 200 miles on it since, and it's still tight. So unless the front end starts misbehaving, I'm gonna consider this a win and just enjoy the thing. It's a nice bike...and pipes are being delivered tomorrow! Thanks for the help, ride safe...

Last edited by 24Breakout; 05-14-2024 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:51 AM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Btw, HD has been using that basic design (theory) for Decades ... just not on the Softail