Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Braking/Front End help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:57 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Braking/Front End help needed

Need some expertise from knowledgeable forum folks. I have an '07 FXDC. 10.4K miles. I didn't lay it up for winter, rode throughout the winter season. I'm a decent wrench with 20+ years of automotive and bike maintenance background and I performed the 5K and 10K maintenance myself, following the recommended servicing by Harley. Starting two weeks ago (3 rides, ~600 miles) I've noted the following occuring:

Under moderate braking, I get some front end shudder. Nothing significant, but noticeable. Shuddering stops immediately upon coming off the brake. Additionally, on first moderate application of front brake I get what feels like a "clunk", with the previously mentioned shudder, but no audible sound. Almost like something is breaking free. After that 1st time, then I experience the previous mentioned shudder with no "clunk" feeling.

I get no shudder under acceleration or normal cruising at any speed or rate of acceleration. The tire is balanced and has 2.5K on the replacement Dunlop. The rear was replaced and balanced at the same time. I've done no fork or triple tree mods,do not have a fork brace, haven't hit any potholes. While I do have the typical "Dyna dive" as I like to refer to it with the stock springs, the fork is not bottoming on moderate to severe braking (I made sure of this in a school parking lot in case that was what was happening).

Forgot to add: Norotor scoring, caliper is tight and pads look to be about 1/2 worn.

Ok gods and tech gurus of the forum....Where have I f-ed it up or what should I be looking at adjusting? Have I even provided even info to get an intelligent opinion?

Old 04-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Braking/Front End help needed

Since you have ridden throughout the winter you might try cleaning the pistons. Lyndall Racing Brakes has a procedure to restore or help the performance of motorcycle disk brake systems. I have included a link to their cleaning procedure. If it does not help then you might use a straight edge to checkthe disk for waver or warping.

http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm

Good luck with it.
Arcane

Old 04-10-2008, 07:09 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I had that on the rear once (for a long time) It was the brake pad material had broken loose from one of the metal backing plates. I guess I did it whenI shoved the rear wheel up into the swingarm and didn't have to rotoe lined up just right with the caliper. Also, make sure it's riding freely on the mouting bolts, if they get sticky, it'll make all kinds of minor weird things happen.

Just some suggestions.........

Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 AM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be a long shot, but I had a similiar problem on one of my bikes a few years ago. Slight klunk with no sound and some shuddering. Checked all the obvious stuff, no luck. What it ended up being was the steering head bearings needed adjusted. The were a bit on the loose side. No other symptoms, just the front braking issue. Worth a shot.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48173/86AE5FC5C3434CC384AF5907ED1D72FC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I concur with Arcane.
What I think you're hearing is one or more brake pads getting 'cocked' under release of braking and then popping back into place the next time the brakes are applied giving you this 'clunk'.
You need to clean and lube the calipers and actuating parts so the pads move in and out uniformly. If you've been experiencing this for some time you might see uneven wear on the pads aggravating the problem. New pads would be a good idea....Lyndalls.

CN

Old 04-11-2008, 04:45 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to all. It appears as though the problem is the steering head nut, washer and torque spec. The service bulletin that addresses it is M1215 issued January 03, 2008. The fix is a kit from the dealer.It cost 2 bucks. I'm going to try and get it covered under warranty.

The bulletin applies as follows:

2006-2007 Dyna models[align=left]• 2008 and earlier FXDWG[/align][align=left]• 2008 and earlier FX Softail models[/align]
•
2008 and earlier VRSC models

Many thanks to jmpancoast in the tech forum for the bulletin info. I owe him several beers!! Will be getting the part and installing myself if they won't cover it under warranty

Old 04-12-2008, 03:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: ShoreRider

Thanks to all. It appears as though the problem is the steering head nut, washer and torque spec. The service bulletin that addresses it is M1215 issued January 03, 2008. The fix is a kit (of course) from the dealer. I've hear of it costing anywhere from 45-60 bucks. I'm going to try and get it covered under warranty.

The bulletin applies as follows:

2006-2007 Dyna models[align=left]• 2008 and earlier FXDWG[/align][align=left]• 2008 and earlier FX Softail models[/align]
•
2008 and earlier VRSC models

Many thanks to jmpancoast in the tech forum for the bulletin info. I owe him several beers!! Will be getting the part and installing myself if they won't cover it under warranty
The "kit" is a hardened washer that costs $1.70. Torque to 70-80ft lbs. 3 minute DIY. HD part number 45727-08