Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Knocking in front end

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,959 Likes on 3,037 Posts
Default Knocking in front end

Has anyone had a knocking in the front end? I think it's from near the triple tree, but not sure. It only happens when i go over those stupid road repair patches. I've tried to re-torch my tree but no improvement. Any ideas?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wide glides with single disc brakes have a tendency to tweak under hard braking and have a distinctive "knock" is how I describe it. If it's clunking when hitting a hole I'd have to see if it's bottoming out. Take a zip tie and put it around the fork tube just above the lower dust shield, tight enough to not slip around by itself but not to tight. Go for a ride til you hear the noise and see where the zip tie is on the fork tube. Then hold the front brake or put the front tire against a wall and try to compress the forks till they bottom and see if the zip tie indicates that the forks are bottoming out. If they are try heavier weight oil in the forks.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 to Rowdy, would also suggest lifting cycle onto stand, grabbing ahold of the forks & giving them a good hard shake, seeing if I don't need to tighten my steering nuts. But let us know.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Tried re-torqueing center nut. Was fine at 27 ft lb. (still did it). Replaced fork oil with "E" weight. When the rain stops I'll take her out and see. If that doesn't do it I'll try heavy weight fork oil.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch your lower fork legs when that knocking occurs....If the front end gets squirrely when hitting thse bumps....Let us know!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

No wobble, or shimmy. Just that dam knock. Still haven't checked since putting in new fork oil.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 PM
looneytune
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My 05 deuce is doing the exact same thing. I came here to make a post about and found yours. Let me know how his works out.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Has anyone had a knocking in the front end? I think it's from near the triple tree, but not sure. It only happens when i go over those stupid road repair patches. I've tried to re-torch my tree but no improvement. Any ideas?

Since you have nothing in your signature, no one knows what you're working with.. What year and model??

First thing that comes to mind is, steering head bearing needs to be re torqued, then I wolud have to look at the washer in that steering head. If it's Dyna, like an 07-08, there was a TSB to replace it with the thicker one, then re torque bearing. I would also look at the gas tank mounting bolts/nuts, ensure they are tightened. That too has been known to create the knock noise you're hearing. Got a windshield?? Check the mounts...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

Friend had the same issue on his SG after he went thru a pothole that was deeper than he thought. It ended up that he crushed a bearing in the neck. Changed the bearing and the clunk went away.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:33 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Since you have nothing in your signature, no one knows what you're working with.. What year and model??

First thing that comes to mind is, steering head bearing needs to be re torqued, then I wolud have to look at the washer in that steering head. If it's Dyna, like an 07-08, there was a TSB to replace it with the thicker one, then re torque bearing. I would also look at the gas tank mounting bolts/nuts, ensure they are tightened. That too has been known to create the knock noise you're hearing. Got a windshield?? Check the mounts...
94 fxstc, already re-torqued the head bolt, removed shield, haven't checked tank mount. It almost sounds like a jug is hitting.

Quick Reply: Knocking in front end