Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:15 PM
got9seconds
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage

Sorry for this ignorant question, but I am confused!

I am getting ready to put on a HHI 4* triple tree which has 2" extension plugs allowing the use of the stock fork tubes. I have read on this forum of others doing this and also using additional 2" over tubes, then they use a front lowering kit to bring the bike back to level.

Why are they doing this combination of extended tubes and lowering kit, rather than just staying with the stock tubes that HHI says will bring the bike back to level with their 2" extension plugs?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated!!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of people do it the way ya described so there is more leg in the fork tube, reducing possible binding problems. On cycles w/ a longer front end & greater rake the travel of the suspension changes some what, sort of like applying weight to the middle of longer steel rod compared to a shorter steel rod, obviously the longer rod bends more easily; that cycle in yer avatar has a fairly shallow rake to begin w/ & I don't know that you'll want the extra length--I suggest asking HHI if they suggest using the method you were describing.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:30 AM
got9seconds
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunk
I think a lot of people do it the way ya described so there is more leg in the fork tube, reducing possible binding problems. On cycles w/ a longer front end & greater rake the travel of the suspension changes some what, sort of like applying weight to the middle of longer steel rod compared to a shorter steel rod, obviously the longer rod bends more easily; that cycle in yer avatar has a fairly shallow rake to begin w/ & I don't know that you'll want the extra length--I suggest asking HHI if they suggest using the method you were describing.
Thanks Chunk! I think I will do just that! I appreciate the response.