Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Problems with seat post on 67 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:50 AM
cycleshots
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with seat post on 67 FLH

I have a 67 FLH that I was restoring to be a driver. I took a custom seat off and did have the original seat. I purchased a new seat post since the bike didn't have one. Now I know why....deep down the seat post tube..around 8" I can see the old seat post shaft. I have an owners manual and easily found the bottom nut that has to come off. I took of the nut but the tranny bottom plate and wacked the stud..hoping that is would just pop into the tube and I'd fish it out. Well..I wacked..and wacked..and WACKED. Nothing. It will not budge. Any ideas? I'm afraid to put a torch to it. I thought of cutting out the bottom of the tube and re welding in another piece with a hole drilled through it so I could stick my new seat post down and then bolt it on the bottom..but then I said...I didn't want to "cut" the frame because from then on...I feel as though I'd devalue the bike. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:37 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Problems with seat post on 67 FLH

Do you think it's rusted in place? Try shooting some stuff into the hole and let it soak for a day.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:47 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat always works. Get yourself a torck, heat it up and then beat on it.

WARNING: You WILL have to repaint the post when you're done as the paint won't take the heat very well.

Or you could try Coca~Cola (Classic) Let me know if it still works.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:27 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the top of the seat post is still round put the nut back on and snug it up, then get a old tap that will thread in to the seat post and get it welded on to the end of a peace of redi bolt that is long enough to get the tap down through the frame tube to the seat post with about a foot sticking out the top. Now double nut the top of the redi bolt and you should be able to tap the inside of the seat post you can leave the tap right in the tube, just make sure you have a good weld between the tap and the redi bolt you do not want it to break off down inside the frame. Now you can take the nut off the bottom and pour a bunch of WD40 or what ever you like for oil down the tube and let it sit for a couple of day's. After a couple of day's you should be able to pull the seat post out. If it does not come right out screw the tap out and replace it with a peace of redi bolt the same size as the tap, you can put more omph on the redi bolt then you could on the tap and not have to worry about it breaking. This should do it.

P.S.
If you have'nt tapped a lot of threads it might be a good idea to have some body that has do the tapping, it is pretty easy to break a tap and if you have done it a lot you start to get a feel for how much pressure that can be put on it before bad thing's happen