Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

97 Ultra Classic front fork leak at air hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 AM
DSmoke
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97 Ultra Classic front fork leak at air hose

I started a new thread because I wanted a more descriptive title. Here is the previous post with a picture.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-to-start.html

I thought I fixed the leak with a slight tightening of the bolt but after changing the fork oil yesterday I had oil around the air hose. I cleaned it up good and went for a ride. I only had a minor amount but I want it fixed while I have the fairing cap off, it would be nice to put it back on without worrying about how much oil dripping. What is the easiest cheapest way to fix this? I plan on suspension upgrades next year so I just need to get by for now. Do I replace the fitting the air hose goes into? Can I remove the air hose, cut it and re-insert hoping for a better seal? Also, if I raise the front wheel will the remove the pressure so I can take the bolt out without having to drain the oil while avoiding oil coming out the top. Common sense tells me yes, but I just thought I would ask before doing so. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

There is a lot of fuss made about the air forks, but mine are still working fine on my 1990 bike. There are very few components involved where that leak can come from. Go to 'Ronnie's Microfiche' website, where you can see an exploded diagram which will explain things much better. That will also enable you to dismantle it to check, clean and rebuild, replacing any parts necessary to make it all air-tight again.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 PM
DSmoke
Cruiser

Thanks, I think I will just get rid of the front air. I'm gonna just put a bolt and washer in there where the banjo bolt goes. I was hoping to make it through the season but the leak is coming from where the air line enters the fitting and it doesn't appear that that comes apart.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Taking another look at your photo in the other thread the fitting that seems to be leaking doesn't look original, so I wonder if it has been bodged at some time in the past.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM
DSmoke
Cruiser

I had her all apart last night adjusting the steering head, trying to chase down this problem. You can hear a noise the the shock is bottoming out, but seems to be coming from in the fairing. I originally thought it was the shocks when I found the leak so I changed the fluid, now I'm not sure. It sounds better now that the steering head is adjusted but I didn't get to ride it yet. I bought it this year with 47K on it, top end was just rebuilt with new pistons at my dealer, so I am going over everything else. Planning a ride for the end of the month hope to have her in tip top shape for them. I did find the left fairing support bracket was broken when I was in there.

Boy adjusting the steering head was a paint, must have had the radio in and out 15 times during the process.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member

That broken bracket may be the source of your noise.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 PM
DSmoke
Cruiser

Yeah, that crossed my mind when I discovered it. I still want to rule out any of the fork stuff too. I saw a bracket on E-bay for $58, might have to get if the noise is still there. Thanks for the feedback!