Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Final drive belt alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:52 AM
jworm1420
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final drive belt alignment problem

Ok pros I need a little assistance. I have an ultima belt drive I'm putting on. I got the engine and tranny mounted down. I used the inner primary plate to get the tranny and engine to line up, torqued them down. Put on swingarm and rear tire. Now I'm trying to align my belt on the tranny pulley and the rear pulley. The belt wants to run to the outer lip of the tranny pulley when rolled forward and to the inner side of pulley when rolled backwards. I already got my rear tire straight. I measured from middle of pivot bolt to middle of axle and got the same measurement. I even used the string method to make sure that the rear pulley and tranny pull are true and they wer. Has anybody got any ideas on what I'm doin wrong....??? Anybody point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Your belt will do what you describe, to a small degree, when correctly aligned. Use a longer piece of string and the same technique, to check rear to front wheel alignment. You may find that a small adjustment to the rear wheel improves things.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:57 PM
jworm1420
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the tip, but could you elaborate on that a little bit??? I should check wheel alignment after I get the rear wheel adjusted straight??? I just thought that if the rear pulley and the tranny pully are true then the belt should ride straight back and forth and with a gap on boths sides....... I am getting frustrated.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The distance from rear pulley to trans pulley is relatively small, compared with the distance between the two wheels. You have installed the engine and trans, which sounds fine, but the belt movement you mention on the rear belt can sometimes be corrected in part by a very slight adjustment of the rear wheel alignment.

You are very close, as far as getting the rear belt to run right is concerned. If you now check alignment between the wheels you may find, over that greater distance, that there is a slight misalignment. As the tyres are not identical in width, check on both sides.

If you are not able to improve things, then try an experiment. Simply adjust the rea wheel slightly in one direction. That will either improve things, or make them worst. If the latter adjust the other way, if there is an improvement, you are on the button.

In any event, a slight adjustment of the rear wheel will probably improve things for you.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

good info. here. this is what belts do. when rotated forward they tend to run to the outside of the pulley and when rolled backwards the run towards the inside. this is do to the way the front pulley is made. sounds like you are very close.