General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a local crackdown on pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:18 PM
swenjj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a local crackdown on pipes

http://www.twincities.com/searchresu...nclick_check=1

this town is pretty close to me and i have to go through it to get to some places i like to go, i bought a 1200 sportster last month and i guess the baffles are drilled out, it really isnt that loud but can they just stop anyone and check this? or do they have to have a reason? this is a town that is on the end of a bridge that is on the mn-wi. border and i know they have set up stops to check everyone for drinking, i wonder if they would do the same for pipes, it is a popular place for bikers too so they should be carefull who they are irritating, can hurt their pocketbooks

also, one part i didnt like :
Sometimes we have to stop the ceremony until they go by," he said. "At a wedding last summer, the bride's sister was a soloist, and she had to stop singing. She broke into tears, as did the bride and the bride's mother."
Albertson took matters into his own hands and hired an off-duty sheriff's deputy to sit in a marked patrol car outside his farm on busy wedding weekends. "It costs over $1,000 a month, but it's worth it," he said.

i really dont like someone using public property (the police car) as a prop for himself to make money off as a side job

Old 04-11-2007, 04:20 PM
swenjj
Advanced
Default RE: a local crackdown on pipes

by the way, these outdoor areas that are "unbearable" to sit in because of harleys are downtown, this is a downtown that you go 15mph max, it is the worst traffic area i know of really, you idle or putt ahead, it isnt like people are flying by at 50 with the loud pipes

Old 04-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,579 Likes on 5,791 Posts

I do not think they should be stopping people and checking pipes. If you get pulled over for something else, say speeding or wreckless driving then they can check your pipes. As far as weddings and stuff like that, I can see how they would be upset. I know most of us respect other people and try to keep the pipes to a minimum in residential neighborhoods, but some people like to rev em up and **** off everyone around. I know because it happens all the time around here.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:51 PM
ChicagoJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the law how are you going to argue with them for stopping anyone. They've been doing it for years under "reasonable suspicion", whatever that means. Also they can care less about the pocketbooks believe it or not just look at MI. Since they've passed their helmet law they have lost millions in revenue from bikers who don't want to mess with it. Im in IL and I'm not going to go out and buy a helmet just so I can ride in MI. Why bother when there is WI, IA, MN, and SD that I can go to.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:08 PM
TinFoilHat
Intermediate

I’ve got mixed feelings about this.

It is possible to be relatively quiet, even with non-stock pipes. I do it all the time leaving the neighborhood early or coming home late. But there are always some who just have to scream “look at me, look at me” and make as much noise as possible no matter where they are. I predict we’ll see more of this.

On the other hand, the powers that be in Stillwater better be careful what they wish for. Summer in MN is short, and I bet there are a LOT of businesses that make a large chunk of their income during these months. What if bikers decided to bypass Stillwater? No gas, no food, no drink. I suspect that to many businesses the sound of thunder sounds exactly like the cha-ching of a cash register.

Lastly, what’s the legal angle here? Who’s to tell peering into my fishtails if there’s a baffle in there or not?

Interesting …

Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 PM
cadillac
Road Master

I know there are a lot of Leo's here, and I truely mean no offense to anyone doing their job. But time and time again I have seen (here in rural Iowa) where the local town police & county police will target and mark vehicles parked in the vicinity of taverns, and sit and wait for them to leave to pull them over. Soon the town gets a reputation for being a "ticket town". And business to the taverns drops. When that happens, a LOT of local business's suffer as well. Ive seen entire towns lose their taverns, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc and the town literally dies. I do NOT advocate nor tolerate drinking and driving. I hope this loud muffler ticketing frenzy doesnt do to Stillwater what HAS been done to other towns.

Bob

Old 04-11-2007, 05:26 PM
NYNickET
Road Captain

what wuz it Jessie James said. . .if your not pissin someone off they aint loud enough. . . . luv that.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And the more people who get pi$$ed off and complain the sooner and the harder they will come down on loud pipes.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
swenjj
Advanced

i am not really trying to start a loud pipes debate, but if my pipes are not that loud can they just pull me over to check? i guess they can just say they sound loud and check then, i dont rev it up and it really isnt that loud, but it is drilled out so they would ticket me

is there a decible limit? i have sound pressure level meter-how do i check it to see if its too loud, eh, i guess i wont be going back to stock so no use worrying unless i get a ticket, i'll just idle by downtown stillwater from now on

Old 04-11-2007, 08:11 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so they'll stop you to check your pipes.meanwhile there goes a honda or some other compact car with one of those coffee can mufflers on and talking on the cell phone go?where the sense in that

Quick Reply: a local crackdown on pipes