General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wool clothing for Winter Riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thorlo socks,with polypropolene liners,medium weight silk top and pant liners,along with silk glove liners. Silk is light,breathes,breaks the wind,is all day comfortable next to the skin. And zero bulk. When it gets cold,the heated socks,pant liner,jacket liner,and gauntlets go on. Heated gear is the only thing that works in real cold.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
I got my answer, I didn't want to yet spend for the heated gear, so thought to consider an alternative.

Gerbings it seems it will be with wool socks. I have the silk base layer, and I know I need something to keep the wind off, so my leather jacket with heated liner and I planned on the heated gloves G3 I have read are better less bulky than the T5.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:54 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Smartwool socks. I base layer, so can't help you much. But before doing the layer thing, I went with fleece.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:51 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The T5 might be a bit more bulky than the G3, but you get used to it, offer better crash protection, and the longer cuffs covers your sleevs opening better and block wind from going in. The G3 looks like more for city/commuting on a scooter imo.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:36 AM
djohn
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwayman-AL
I have searched here and the internet and I can't find a definitive answer. For riding in cooler weather ( I know heated is best for cold) is wool better or fleece or really no difference.

Here is my situation. I can ride my Limited to customers houses. Because I will be getting off my bike after riding in cooler weather and then going into a house for a few hours, I don't want any base layers that or mid layers that would be too hot to wear inside.

I have heard good things about Merino wool but nothing about wearing it on a motorcycle to help keep warm if it is effective due to the wind.

If you have worn both fleece and / or wool what are your thoughts?

I hunt in wool clothing and inch for inch it is warmer than fleece. The natural oils in wool also make them somewhat waterproof, and will keep you warm even while wet. Most people layer Merino wool against their skin because it is short fibers, and as such, doesn't itch as much. Inside layers of quality wool is expensive...outer layers are ridiculously high priced.

IMHO if you don't want to go heated gear, look for a nice, high quality snowmobile suit that you can zip on and off like coveralls...or better yet, a parka and bibs.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by ghira75
The T5 might be a bit more bulky than the G3, but you get used to it, offer better crash protection, and the longer cuffs covers your sleevs opening better and block wind from going in. The G3 looks like more for city/commuting on a scooter imo.
I guess it's a matter of preference. I much prefer the G3 over the T5 because the dexterity of the G3 is significantly better. Yes the smaller gauntlet of the G3 takes a few extra seconds to get over a jacket but the seal is good once set.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

As an outer garment a heavy wool like the weight of a Navy Pea Coat might work but won't repel wind at higher speeds. Wool can absorb a lot of water before it soakes through and dries quickly. I'd suggest looking into the current US Military's Extended Cold Weather Clothing System (ECWCS). It's a 7 layer system starting with silk weight under garments (Level 1) and works it's way through a Polartec 100 weight fleece to 200 and 300 weight fleece to Gore Tex wind shells to Extreme Cold Weather outer parkas. I'm not suggesting that this system was designed for riding because it wasn't. I use Level 1, 2 and 3 and occasionally the gore tex trousers. It's all Made in USA too so that's just an added bonus.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:34 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I wear a hooded sweatshirt under an armored TourMaster with a FF helmet, Thermal underwear and jeans. Riding Mittens with Hot Hands (Hot Hands do much better with mittens) Socks and boots.

Bike
Windshield, Guard Chaps, Fangs

That is comfortable for Winters here. But truth be told if I am just riding a few errand miles and not on a 100 mile ride to the VA in Charleston. I don't bother taking the time to dress for the weather. I choose another vehicle. 30 mils or so is not worth the time to bundle up and having to deal with dragging all the stuff around when I get off the bike.

Last edited by TenMidgets; 10-08-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Mr. Neptune
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, I wear wool socks too........under my bunny slippers when I ride..........

Old 10-08-2014, 02:50 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Like they told us during Arctic training in Norway "There's no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing".

The cold is like water, it will find a way into the one weak spot you have in your whole set up and make the entire ride miserable.

Quick Reply: Wool clothing for Winter Riding