General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kentucky Bourbon trail

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 AM
JP4107
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kentucky Bourbon trail

Going to ride through Kentucky in a couple weeks. Leaving St Louis and heading towards the Bourbon trail. I've MapQuested the route and looks like major highway almost the whole way. Used St Louis as starting point and Jim Beam distillery as end point just for a start and end pont. Looking for anyone that might have sugestions on backroad routes or any must see stopping points. Only doing a three day ride to Kentucky and back to St Louis. Want to hit the Bourbon distillerys and other than that wide open for sightseeing. Any suggestions much apprecited.

Thanks
JP

Old 10-13-2014, 08:39 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Oldest tavern in KY is in Bardstown, not far from Clermont. How far east do you plan to come? You're still a ways west for me to give you advice on back roads. I'm a little east of Richmond.

LiiT

Old 10-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Bad Baby Bourbon
6th Gear

Here is a link to the KBT site. While it referes to the routes as bike routes, the roads appear to be paved but rural. Options to choose as well.

http://kybourbontrail.com/map/bike-t...bourbon-trail/

Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 AM
swervin irv
Tourer

All the roads are good and the places are easy to find,enjoy..............

Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 AM
mishsc
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Makers Mark Distillery in Loretto Ky. It's a about 30 miles from Clermont. Roads are pretty good. Hwy.49 will take you past a couple other distilleries before you get into Loretto. 49 is a little tricky but it's a really nice place to see IMO. Enjoy and have a safe ride.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mishsc
Check out Makers Mark Distillery in Loretto Ky. It's a about 30 miles from Clermont. Roads are pretty good. Hwy.49 will take you past a couple other distilleries before you get into Loretto. 49 is a little tricky but it's a really nice place to see IMO. Enjoy and have a safe ride.
Love me some Makers. Gonna make this trip one day...

Old 10-13-2014, 12:21 PM
parkashard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which distillers are you wanting to do? I'm from dead center of this area and have many friends and family working in these places . All the roads are great for riding on and you won't be hitting dirt roads or anything like that . Don't forget buffalo trace ,it's not on the official trail but it's a good tour too.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:37 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Makers Mark is the king of the Ky bourbons, to me!

Old 10-13-2014, 02:19 PM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

15 friends road out and did the tour last summer. Their big item was ,, during the tour,, can you say tour van,, they did not ride between each distillery. They were there for four days and had a blast!

Old 10-13-2014, 05:38 PM
mishsc
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had the chance to take a ride to any of them but have been to several of the distilleries including Jim Beam(both Frankfort and Clermont),Wild Turkey in Lawrenceburg,Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark. Makers Mark is the nicest(IMO). I talked with a lady about their tours. During the week you can watch them run the line and hand dip the bottles. I was also told you can buy a bottle and dip it yourself. On the weekends you only have a video of the bottling process to watch. We're looking forward to taking a ride down to do the tour ourselves.

Quick Reply: Kentucky Bourbon trail