General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Winter Wash? Semi-Waterless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:32 PM
nuclearnick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Winter Wash? Semi-Waterless?

Just curious how you guys wash your bike before you put it up or semi-up for the winter. Do you bear the cold or is there a safe way to not use a water hose. It's getting to cold for me to be out there with a water hose and bucket. It's my first bike it's only 3 months old and my first winter.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:44 PM
DinoM
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm just north of ya here in NH. Just gotta grin and bare it! Gave mine a good wash this weekend!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Dalenut3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I can tell you what I do...(may be right or wrong in others opinions) I usually have a good coat of wax on her before the final wash before hibernation for the winter here in NE Ohio. I know what you mean about being too cold this time of year!! That being said, I guess I bear the cold!! I will wash thoroughly, dry with chamois cloth, blow dry with leaf blower, return with chamois cloth and cover. I will ride to gas station the day before and fill up the tank. Also hook it up to the battery tender. Usually, its the first or second weekend of November....BRRR!

Old 10-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 36 Posts

Fill your wash bucket inside the house with warm water.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearnick
Just curious how you guys wash your bike before you put it up or semi-up for the winter. Do you bear the cold or is there a safe way to not use a water hose. It's getting to cold for me to be out there with a water hose and bucket. It's my first bike it's only 3 months old and my first winter.

Get a hot bucket of water, wash her down, rinse her off. I have an air compressor that I use to blow all the loose water out of the tight spaces.

Do yourself a favor and get a rag or a small paintbrush and apply a film of oil to the chrome and zinc plated parts. The more places you can put a film of oil the better. Wax is best for painted parts, but not metal. Make sure you cover the fuel tank with a doubled over blanket, then cover the whole bike with a bike cover. You won't believe how things will just accidentally fall on a gas tank when it is in storage and chip the paint. You can always wash oil off a bike, but you can't wash off rust.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,437 Likes on 1,555 Posts

When I retired, my boss gave me the best retirement gift I ever heard - he let me keep my keys to the shop. Heated floor, enclosed wash bay, plenty of room to leave the bike overnight to dry completely. Free to use any night and every weekend.
Would take my keys over a gold watch any time....

Old 10-26-2014, 08:04 PM
scott504
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I always wash with Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax, the stuff is awesome and no hose is needed so garage washing is no problem.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:22 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Lemon Pledge and a micro fiber cloth and put it my J&S jack. If I'm bored in the winter I'll wax and polish it more than once. My bike has only seen a water hose 3 times in the 6 years I've owned it.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

If it's cold when I do the last wash, I run the hose into the house and hook it to the hot water in the laundry/utility tub. I always ride the bike after a wash to get it completely dry. For the last ride of the season, I bring a bottle of Stabil and add it when I top off before going home. I try to be realistic about when to put my road bikes up for the winter, so I don't wait until the daytime temp's are in the 30s. My DR650 doesn't get winterized, because it's always ready for a late fall, mid winter or early spring ride.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:30 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

We've got a great "Detailing" section. Post over there

Quick Reply: Pre-Winter Wash? Semi-Waterless?