General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whitebird Switchback Spiral Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistnride
My old stomping grounds. Love that 12% grade on the west side of Sonora Pass. If you ever want to get lost in the big sky country,take hwy 51 out of Mountain Home,Id.,south,where it becomes 225 at the Nevada border,into Elko. Hundreds of miles of wide open,might pass a half dozen cars. I've got a whole 4 miles to Canada,so I can cover some decent miles in a day trip. World class riding.
Noted! I've been to Elko half a dozen times, at least. Got a little golf course right off 80. If I get into town early enough, I can play. 'course, I had the sticks in the car.

Which brings me to another interesting thing...I've been Googling this, and apparently the only golf club carriers for Harleys are for Touring models only. That may just be the tipping point that moves me from a Dyna to an RK.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Noted! I've been to Elko half a dozen times, at least. Got a little golf course right off 80. If I get into town early enough, I can play. 'course, I had the sticks in the car.

Which brings me to another interesting thing...I've been Googling this, and apparently the only golf club carriers for Harleys are for Touring models only. That may just be the tipping point that moves me from a Dyna to an RK.
Man,you're really getting into the dark side,now! Gotta' say,since getting the Road King 3 years back,my day trips have jumped from 200 on the Softails,to 400 easy on the big Harley. Cruise,ABS,rider backrest,and a Rolls ride,you're gonna' get spoiled. Get over to the Ruby Mountains,Lamoille Canyon,out of Elko,when you get a chance,like being in the Swiss Alps.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Grouser62
Road Captain
Received 539 Likes on 252 Posts

IdahoHacker, you live a day's ride from so many great roads. I ride Lolo 2-3 times a year, done Spiral a couple times, Rattlesnake etc. Often hang a left at Enterprise into Joseph then into Hells Canyon where there is more great riding. Beautiful.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:24 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouser62
IdahoHacker, you live a day's ride from so many great roads. I ride Lolo 2-3 times a year, done Spiral a couple times, Rattlesnake etc. Often hang a left at Enterprise into Joseph then into Hells Canyon where there is more great riding. Beautiful.
I heard they redid the road at Hell's Canyon not too long ago. It was a little rough when my wife and I rode it.
Idaho does have some nice riding for sure. Done some smaller loops near Boise several times.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:26 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Grouser62
My first pic in post #4...about a 100 yards before you get to that spot, you can hang a right and go into Troy, OR from the back. There's one mile of gravel on that road, but the rest of it looks just like this:

Old 01-04-2015, 11:31 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I heard they redid the road at Hell's Canyon not too long ago. It was a little rough when my wife and I rode it.
Idaho does have some nice riding for sure. Done some smaller loops near Boise several times.
There's a huge segment of US 95 South just past Riggins that is all brand new. From there on south, through Hells Canyon, is one of the most amazing roads I've ever been on. We have a group ride scheduled to go there this spring. Once you get out of the canyon, if you look back over your shoulder it looks like this:

Old 01-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Grouser62
Road Captain
Received 539 Likes on 252 Posts

Hey BigDogIdaho there is some work going on at the south end of the Hells Canyon Lookout road (NFD 39) but its pretty rough for the most part. Great view from the super well-maintained overlook though. Idaho 71 from Oxbow to Cambridge is another Idaho gem.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:38 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 264 Posts

Lots of great riding leads here; went thru the area last year (Effie Burger, Boggin's Oasis two destination highlights) and we're are now planning our return this coming summer; one great way to help with the winter blues way up here.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:41 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I use to be the Navy recruiter in Lewiston from 2007-10. I bought my bike before Shumate got shut down. Road Old Spiral Highway a couple times a week if I ever left the office in day light. Not something I would ride at night. Although it was sketchy with the grasshopper attack of 2010. I lived in Moscow and worked there in Lewiston. I miss the roads and views.

Can't forget Rattle Snake Grade either, but that place is hot as hell in the summer. I think it was 124 the last time I road through that oven. No wind or anything, but it was fun!!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:45 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

sharkey, believe it or not, I haven't been to Effie's yet, even though I drive right past it several times a week!

JaronB, cool story! Yeah, I haven't exactly heard glowing reviews of Shumate. The Shumate dealership in TriCities is now Rattlesnake HD, but their service department is more metric and ATVs than Harley. Very weird vibe in there.

Quick Reply: Whitebird Switchback Spiral Idaho