Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   How much experience do you have riding? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1030959-how-much-experience-do-you-have-riding.html)

ChickinOnaChain 03-06-2015 07:45 PM

From 1970 to 1981 the first time and late 2012 to the present. So 11 years the first time and 2+ years do far.

HDU 03-06-2015 08:51 PM

44 years and counting

Started around 1972 on a Honda z50, dozens of bikes later my bike of choice is the Electra Glide. The fastest bike I owned was the Yamaha Vmax, and the least reliable was the Hodaka dirt squirt.
I am hoping for many more years hanging on to handlebars.

Colorido 03-06-2015 09:07 PM

This is my 6th year and I will roll over the 100k miles in the saddle mark this year. Relatively inexperienced compared to many older riders and always looking to improve my skills. That said, I've learned most of my riding skills from a riding buddy that spent over 2 decades racing street bikes and another that has 10 years of experience as a motor patrolman. I'm pretty fortunate to have riding buddies with that level of experience.

baka1969 03-06-2015 09:25 PM

About 18 years not including the time I spent riding dirt bikes and mopeds when I was a kid.

hd4evr2008 03-06-2015 09:33 PM

47 years. Haven't ever been without a motorcycle in all those years.

baka1969 03-06-2015 09:33 PM

I wish I could say I had a 1/2 million miles under me but I don't. It's closer to 150k. Still a neophyte and willing to keep on going. To that end, I'm taking the MSF advanced course in April. I figure I can never stop learning and if I pick up only one or two tips it'll be worth the time and effort. It's free in PA. So, why not?

DannyZ71 03-06-2015 09:33 PM

LOL! Okay guys. I should have known better. The purpose of the poll was for me to see how many continuous years people have ridden motorcycles. Doesn't matter to me if it's mini bikes, dirt bikes, street bikes, etc., as long as there was no significant break of not having a bike. I too started when 10 years old on mini-bikes, and progressed up continuously for 13 years. Then came the long hibernation due to divorce, kids, life, another divorce, etc.,. Then I got back on in 2011.

Wheels24 03-06-2015 09:42 PM

Continuously since summer of 1972 starting on a used 1969 Honda Z50 MiniTrail...almost 43 years. Have never been without a motorcycle since. First rides were in the late 1960s on various friends' mini-bikes.

I have no idea how many total miles; some years I rode 15K plus, other years more like 3K (when the kids were little). Conservatively, 10K miles per year times 43 years is about 430,000 miles.

Have had as few as 1 bike at a time and as many as 10...mini-bikes, dirt bikes, dual sports, cruisers, vintage, sport bikes, sport tourers, bagger, race bikes...never met a motorcycle I didn't like...though some have been way better than others.

Crashed once on the racetrack...low side in the east horseshoe at Daytona on a cold front tire. Countless times in the dirt. Never on the street (knock wood)...but many close calls.

Most of my 'learning' was on the race track (MX and road race). You have no idea what you and your bike are capable of until you've done 20+ laps balls out on a race track. Also took the MSF Experienced Rider course...time well spent.

Favorites...Z50 MiniTrail, Norton Commando, CBX, CRF450X, GSX-R1100, Ducati 900SS-SP, Road King. Wish I never sold the CBX or Norton..

hd4evr2008 03-06-2015 09:42 PM

Well if you're counting mini bikes and such make it 52 years for me! ;)

lh4x4 03-06-2015 10:57 PM

I started riding in March of 1956. I was in the Army in Germany for 26 months while the bike was sitting in my parents garage back home. I would still consider myself to be a motorcyclist. How does not riding for a day, week, month or a year or more change anything?

I have had a couple of months on several occasions in my life when I sold one bike and didn't get a new one right away. Keep several on hand now so that doesn't happen any more.

I would suggest that I have been a motorcyclist for 58 years. Since I didn't log miles until I retired I don't know the lifetime mileage of experience that I have. I do now note annual mileage which is in excess of 30K/yr.

My experience has taken me to all 49 Continental States and most of Canada. From ocean to ocean. Through all US mountain ranges and all furthest US landfalls. I plan to step up for a little more riding this year as I have just finished plans for a total of seven long tours