General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else losing that 'Spark?'

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:12 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
I love Harleys, and then, I also like other bikes.

But lately, it seems like nothing is coming out that gives me that rush that seeing
new bikes used to. Heck, I've been doing very little riding and haven't had much interest
in any of it. Which sucks.

I mean, the last thing I want to do right now is buy another bike, especially since I
am not really riding the one I have, and owe less than 13 on it. Getting another
ride means going into more debt, and probably for less bike than I have.

So, am I the only one who's looking at all of this and saying 'yawn?' 16+ years
of being on Harleys, and it comes down to this? Help me out here. I need some
motivation. Something to get me back in the saddle.
I guess that I am kind of simple minded but this is how I see it. If none of the bikes that are coming out interest you, than why concern yourself with trying to buy a new one, I wouldn't.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:15 PM
joseph07081
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wb0zrd
A year ago was where the OP is right now, didn't really care anymore for some reason that I didn't know. Barely put 5000 miles on last year, the least I have ridden for years. But for some reason over the winter my interest is up again and I'm planning on spending a lot of time on it this year. I used to ride my bike to work a lot, but it has gotten so damned dangerous to ride in traffic in the morning here in Denver that I don't ride to work anymore much. That probably didn't help any.

Paul in Colorado
I finally had some decent days when I could ride into work..... and to be honest, these commuters on the way in are effin crazy. Sorry but the combination of darkness, crazy cage jockeys and cold temps has me rethinking my will to ride to work. I think I am at least going to wait until sunrise is a bit earlier before I try the next round of riding to work.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:19 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Panchorelly
Yeah that too , I am always looking for some new toy to give me that happy feeling. But it don't work.
Agree! The happy feeling you get only lasts a short period of time....I'm trying to master....complacency. haven't bought anything big since 2013!

this year, a New car came out! I've been plotting and planning......honestly..... I hate it!

Old 04-15-2015, 01:20 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,009 Likes on 11,390 Posts

I once owned two excellent motorcycles, a Harley and a BMW. Both are good in different ways. I need to buy another BMW.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

im with subguy here. Ive owned sportsters, dyna a r/k and an ultra...but I was happiest on the sporty. my wife rides her own (deluxe) so really no need for the touring bike yet. got rid of my last bike (09 ultra) and got a second sportster. one is pretty well stripped (bags, shield, etc) and my 2011 custom has everything on it I need to ride distance. im 5'8" and 170. if I was much bigger and felt cramped on the sportster, id go with a dyna. the r/k is a great bike imo but sometimes just a stripped down bike like a 750 or sporty (try used, bunch out there) will really rekindle that spark.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:52 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Spark re-ignited by getting an older classic bike. New ones...yeah, yawn...all the same....kajillions of generic black glides 'n dynas with V&H pipes....everyones ride is just like everyone elses.

Step back a few decades, go unique, go classic, get something with actual SOUL.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:01 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

There's no doubt that riding in S Fl is for the most part, very boring. It's the same roads north and south and a little bit west. It's at least 45 minutes to get out of highly populated areas and even then it's the same roads and the same straight lines.

For us it's definitely the destination not the ride. We're lucky that unless there's torrential rain and hurricanes we can always ride. Maybe the OP can pick some new destinations or, like others have said, take a trip or even an overnight and go a bit further. Make some new riding friends and have fun riding. Today I met some buddies and we rode 25 miles to a shooting range, shot holes in paper and then went to lunch. Try Meetup.com for riding groups or join us in the Florida Crew and come out and ride with us. You missed a great ride Saturday, some of us rode to Hobe Sound and had us some great BBQ.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,909 Likes on 3,286 Posts

The bike is just the mode of transportation, the real joy is the trip and the destination.. I don't ride alone often, mostly it's with my brothers so maybe you need to find a riding club or branch out and get some new friends to ride with.

I am extremely lucky to live where I do, we have epic riding mostly year around and the destination can always be taken multitudes of different ways which makes it that much better.

OS

Old 04-15-2015, 02:57 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Maybe ride to a strip club, that should "spark" something.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:23 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

definitely can understand
over winter i start wondering why i have some bikes if i can't use them
but i plan some trips and look forward to them, and as mentioned having the sporty is pretty cool,

after a couple of get re-acquanted with the bike after months of no riding, i am back in the saddle again

Quick Reply: Anyone else losing that 'Spark?'