General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feelin ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Openup1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so the dealer says the test speedo did the same thing as the original, so not the speedo. Says they found ground fault in connection to main harness.
I rode it home, about 10 miles and is working.
So $2000 to fix a short (open circuit ), but at least I have a new trans and case that I did not need.
I have to say they did not charge anything after initial $2000, but made no offer to compensate for expense and time due to misdiagnosis.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:21 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,171 Likes on 11,446 Posts

Once the OP identifies the dealer, a mod should move this to the "Bad Dealer" sticky above.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:42 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

The feeling of being ripped off happens to all.......I've had a couple things happen to me that I wish didn't.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 523 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Once the OP identifies the dealer, a mod should move this to the "Bad Dealer" sticky above.
I asked the OP to PM the name of the dealer to me. So far nothing.
If he does not name the dealer then this post is fine right where it is.

Last edited by Apendejo; 04-19-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Did he name the dealer?

Old 04-18-2015, 10:15 PM
sgblues
6th Gear

At least tell us what city the dealer is in. lol

Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I think you experienced what is commonly referred to as a dry colonoscopy.
With sandpaper and Tabasco sauce!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,585 Likes on 4,652 Posts

Originally Posted by Openup1
So $2000 to fix a short (open circuit ), but at least I have a new trans and case that I did not need.
I have to say they did not charge anything after initial $2000, but made no offer to compensate for expense and time due to misdiagnosis.
You still offer no evidence that the transmission work was not needed, other than the fact it mad you unhappy...

Did you have the dealer show you the damaged transmission parts?

You should have, since you obviously think they ripped you off and are quick to make the accusation...

Originally Posted by upflying
Too many people here want to post crap about a dealer without any proof.

A first time poster with a rant is not a credible source...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-19-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:51 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
You still offer no evidence that the transmission work was not needed, other than the fact it mad you unhappy...

Did you have the dealer show you the damaged transmission parts?

You should have, since you obviously think they ripped you off and are quick to make the accusation...

Too many people here want to post crap about a dealer without any proof.

A first time poster with a rant is not a credible source...
I'm with you on this. Everyone is very quick to take some posters side of the situation and jump on the dealer no matter what the issue is. Those jumping on the dealer over this need to consider that you only heard one side. They very well could have been doing him a favor by pointing out and fixing the tranny, but everyone is perfectly willing to ASSUME that the dealer did something unnecessary. My niece works for a dealer and the last thing they want to do is replace a bunch of unneeded stuff. They would rather get another bike belonging to someone else back on the road before bleeding one guy to death and having everyone else wait longer for their bike. Dealer bashing is the way a lot of people on here prefer to go though. Most dealers have plenty of bikes to repair and don't need to waste everybodys time doing unneeded stuff to yours.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:00 AM
Openup1
2nd Gear
Default feelin done

Update: Speedo problem solved,(for now). I am putting on 13" apes now and hope to be done tomorrow.

As for those of you who have asked how do I know that I didn't actually need a transmission rebuild, all I can tell you is it was working fine, made no noises and had 22,000 miles on it. The dealer's service tech showed me the parts, but I am not qualified to judge their condition. I never saw the metal shavings, so really don't know if it was normal wear, or indication of bearing failure. That is the critical question, and it takes an experienced mechanic to determine the difference. Also showed me the case that was defective, but appeared to be deformed from attempt to remove bearing, again I'm not qualified to say for sure.

Bottom line is maybe it was failing, maybe not.

The thing is, I took it there for faulty speedo, and trans had nothing to do with it. It was a faulty ground wire coming off the speedo. Should have been an easy fix.

The reason that I made this post was to let other people know what I was going through and if they have a similar issue maybe they will be aware of this possibility, and can hopefully have a better outcome. This forum has a lot of very good info that can help educate you on any issues you may have before you take your ride for service. I wish I had researched this issue here, and other forums, before blindly following along with dealer recommendations.

So, I'm over it now. Lesson learned and moving on.

To those who want me to name dealer, it is not my intent to hammer them, there are some good people there, and I don't think that this was intentional, and just as easily could have happened at a dealer ship near you.

I appreciate all who shared their recommendations and similar stories, and offered suggestions. I'm glad I found this forum, and I will be checking in from time to time.

Thanks, Now back to those apes..

Quick Reply: Feelin ripped off