General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which model is right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

What led me to the superglide was the lighter weight (vs the softail) and the 29° rake. There are a lot of eexhaust systems available that are only loud when you want them to be.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Since I don't know you, your size, your financial situation or what you can handle bike wise, go to a dealership and test ride every bike you like, fit on and can afford. Then decide for yourself.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GulfCoastGuy
Basically I am looking for a laid back 35-45 mph ride on less busy roads. Just the wind going through my hair and "losing the world" for a bit. I think I'd prefer something somewhat nimble and not heavy feeling. I am 5'10" and 200 lbs. I'm too laid back now to care about speed.
e.
While not "nimble" My first thought was a heritage softail. Comfortable, stable and in my opinion, easier to handle than a sportster. Looks nice, will cruise all day. Lots of them out there used. If you're buying a twin-cam pre 07, do research regarding the cam chain tensioners and be sure they've been replaced if you're buying something from that era.

You could always go to the dealer and test ride some if you want to put up with the sales pressure to see what platform you'd like best even if you're not buying new.

Happy Motoring!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:05 PM
opr1945
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley (All of what follows is my opinion, Other may differ) has basically 5 families of bikes:

1. Sporster, small, light weight, smaller motor, rubber mounted motor, quick. not good for long trips or extended high speeds. rode one for year. 883 and 1200 cc's.

2. Dynas, smallest of the BIG bikes, relatively light weight, geared for around town riding. I rode one for years on long interstate trips and thought it was ok.

3. Softtails, has old rigid frame look, no visable shocks (they are under the frame), solid mounted motor.

4. Touring bikes, large, heavy, not as quick as smaller bikes, good for extended long trips at high speed. (Now that I have a road glide i can't believe I rode the super glide all over! LOL)

5. V_rod, Harleys version of a crotch rocket. FAST.

each family has several versions availble. big bikes start with basically same motor. But modifications available. 80, 88TC, 96, 103, 110 ci's.

Prices go up and you go down the above list.

Based upon original post I would guess dynas would be place to start. Test Ride is your friend!!!!!

Good luck

Old 05-28-2015, 11:18 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies.. I like the looks of the Wide-Glide with the flames on the tank and chopper looking front fork but I have no idea if that model will ride "nimble". When I looked online for used Harley's in the Tampa area, there were so many models that I had no idea where to start. I could go see a used bike and think it was ok when perhaps there's a better model out there for my needs. So all your input is useful..
If you have a good inseam it will be fine for you. I am guessing here but I think you need around 31 inch inseam for the forwards to be comfy.
I'm 5'7" so the forwards with reach kit is a bit much for me. I get cramps but I am older.
Don't worry about exhaust yet, find the bike you like then find the exhaust you want.

Last edited by dirtdobber; 05-28-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:07 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I test rode a Wide Glide once. Thought it was really hard to handle. But I am used to mid controls. I think a Superglide would be a good bike.
Once you get comfortable 45 will feel slow.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I would suggest go to the dealer and spend some time sitting and looking at all of them. After u have narrowed it down to a few, then test ride, as many others have suggested.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:18 AM
GulfCoastGuy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I just picked 35-45mph out of my head. Basically I was just getting at that I'm not after speed or tight cornering now that I'm in my 40s. I just want something laid-back, easy, and "fun" to cruise back country roads. I remember riding a big heavy monster of a bike one time in the late 90s and it was not nimble at all. It just felt really heavy and vague when I rode it. I weighed 160 back then so that probably made it worse. I know I need to test-ride a few bikes for sure, I was just trying to learn what bikes to try and which models to completely avoid. Before I got my endorsements, I went into a Harley dealer to look around. The guy there said that at at 5'10" 200lbs, a low-rider was not the right bike for me and he tried to steer me into a touring bike with a huge windshield and batwing fairings. I really wanted something without all the wind deflection stuff.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Here is a great bike for you. I would buy it if I was single. Would be a great garage mate for my bike.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...lide-114689974

If the tires are original, replace them.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 AM
cbump
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah I just picked 35-45mph out of my head. Basically I was just getting at that I'm not after speed or tight cornering now that I'm in my 40s. I just want something laid-back, easy, and "fun" to cruise back country roads. I remember riding a big heavy monster of a bike one time in the late 90s and it was not nimble at all. It just felt really heavy and vague when I rode it. I weighed 160 back then so that probably made it worse. I know I need to test-ride a few bikes for sure, I was just trying to learn what bikes to try and which models to completely avoid. Before I got my endorsements, I went into a Harley dealer to look around. The guy there said that at at 5'10" 200lbs, a low-rider was not the right bike for me and he tried to steer me into a touring bike with a huge windshield and batwing fairings. I really wanted something without all the wind deflection stuff.

Tell the salesman to go back to his little cubicle and let you pick whichever bike you want or you'll go somewhere else. Some places push the touring bikes because they are more expensive.

Quick Reply: Which model is right for me?