Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Dealer service issue am I out of line here? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1063214-dealer-service-issue-am-i-out-of-line-here.html)

Truble 08-02-2015 07:51 PM

I agree reach out to the general manager and discuss it with him or her. No offense to the tech or the parts guy but they can't make the final decision

bgup619 08-02-2015 08:00 PM

I sent the service manager an email and simply said at the end that if he can't make this decision I understand and to forward my email to someone who can. I'm not being a jerk about it. Yes I knew what it was going to cost, something you should know... It's not about the money for me, I could care less about the 220, I was expecting to pay. It's now the principal and the disregard for me as a customer that's bothersome.

jimmy1439 08-02-2015 08:46 PM

It might be worth it to call the 800 customer service number on the website. Sometimes they can be a reasonable middleman for this type of thing.

I would bring up the fact that you paid 488 for a dealer prep that was not accomplished, then lost the bike for multiple days because said prep was not accomplished. I would ask them if they thought customer satisfaction was worth 220 in this instance. Make sure they know that you understand the fact that you signed on for them to do the work, but not to lose the bike for multiple days due to something that should have been caught at multiple levels of quality control.

Might work, might not.

bgup619 08-03-2015 11:08 AM

Thanks again guys.. Appreciate the different perspectives..

subguy 08-03-2015 11:15 AM

I'm confused...the $220 is for the rear peg install, NOT the install of the shield correct? To install the rear pegs on a 2014/15 Sportster, you have to take off the exhaust, remove the rear master cylinder and mount, put the new rear peg mount on, then bolt the rear master cylinder on and the reinstall the exhaust. 2-hour charge by the dealership is probably their flat rate for the installation...not including the rear footpeg mounts and pegs (around $129.00)...or did you get the rear peg kit and install for $220 total? Depending on the dealership's flat rate it is probably not incorrect.

While they were doing this, they noticed the shield was not on the exhaust pipe and put that on for free correct (no charge for the shield or labor)?

Okay...I had to look up what shield part you were talking about as I don't have one on my 48. Ronnie's OEM Parts catalog shows a shield (#18), but does not list it as a part number. To be honest, it looks like the shield that was on my 2007 to prevent pants/leg from being caught
under the rear heat shield. I will now have to look at my 2014 Sportster Parts manual when I get home to see what it lists...but, my 2014 does not have the shield installed either?

NooneOfConsequence 08-03-2015 11:20 AM

My opinion (take it for what it's worth):
The warrantee issue (heat shield) is completely unrelated to your accessory install and you should be responsible for the full price for that install alone. You came in asking for that work and they performed it; you owe them for it.
Where they screwed up is by letting you leave without paying and then calling you up later and pulling a 'oh by the way, you owe us some money' stunt. To me, that's a crappy way to do business and shows a lack of organization and communication. They should have charged you when you picked up the bike and since they didn't I think they should have to eat at least some of the install cost.

subguy 08-03-2015 11:28 AM

Also....the shield they said would cause your oil lines to melt if not installed is bull...as I said, I don't have the extra shield on my 2014 48 and have almost 10K miles so far and none of my oil lines have "melted" or burned...again, that shield was on my 2007 as a fix for the pants, pants leg/ leg getting caught between the heat shield and pipe to prevent burning...nothing about oil lines...

subguy 08-03-2015 12:03 PM

That exhaust shield was a recall item from Jun 27, 2007 on 2006 Sportsters (HD No. 131). First time I had my 2007 XL1200R in for service, they installed the shield (free).

Again, it was for pant legs being caught between the heat shield and exhaust pipe and without it you could burn your pant leg (you can look up the recall notice). That is the shield the dealership was probably discussing. If you look at Ronnie's OEM parts list online, it shows it for the 2014 exhaust, but is not listed with a supporting part number.

Leads me to believe it is no longer an issue with Harley or if it is, they are not installing it on the 2014/2015 Sportsters and it should be then. Going to have to find out, but I assume it is not applicable since the 2014/15 rear exhaust pipe sticks out much further than the 2007-2013 EFI bikes due to the relocation of the rear master cylinder. Doesn't hurt to have it on, but it has nothing to do with oil lines.

0maha 08-03-2015 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by bgup619 (Post 14265552)
I think I'll tell them I'll pay the 220 they want as soon as they refund me the 488

This.

Ragtop 08-03-2015 01:41 PM

Tell them to pound sand!