Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Dealer service issue am I out of line here? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1063214-dealer-service-issue-am-i-out-of-line-here.html)

RHPAW 08-03-2015 01:49 PM

I didn't pay that much to have the crank balanced on my Shovelhead.
Pegs, Heat shields are bolt-on items...
Sounds like the Chuck's Deluxe school of ethics and business practice.
Stab him.

Thumper09 08-03-2015 01:55 PM

Dealership drama

bgup619 08-03-2015 03:58 PM

The 220.00 is what I "owe" for two hours labor because I am lazy and didnt want my wife nagging me everyday until i got around to putting them on.

Im just basically not feeling like a very valued customer at this point. Even an offer to cover half of my cost for the unrelated error caused by factory assembly neglect would make me feel better. They had a very blase attitude about the whole thing. I can order something from china on amazon and have it in a day and they kept my bike for 6 waiting on parts with no regard to that timeline being at all unacceptable.. Service is closed Sunday and Monday so im expecting to hear back tomorrow. If they make any effort at all I will give them a chance to win my business back, if not Ill take my bike to the dealership that is actually closer to my house for my service needs..

Ill let you know what happens.. i wont just resolve it and leave everyone wondering like some guys do on here..

roadking2000 08-03-2015 04:20 PM

You wanted them to mount pegs for you, you agreed to pay for it, and they charged you accordingly. You want a break because they pointed out a couple other issues and they fixed them no charge. You want to switch dealers if they don't give you a break. Maybe at this point they look at you as a customer that's not worth having if you are going to try and short change them every time you have service done especially since THEY pointed out the issues. They could have made more money by letting you blow up your bike and then fixing it under warranty. Maybe the closer dealer won't be nice enough to point out a obvious problem. Your choice, but I think you are wanting something for nothing and are PO'd if you don't get it.

bgup619 08-03-2015 04:44 PM

A couple other issues on a bike with 62 miles on it!!!!!! Did you bother to read the whole thread? I also paid 488.50 a week before that for "dealer prep" on this bike and they dont make anything off me if the motor blows pal it COSTS them money.. Should I be allowed to recoup any of that cost? Of course not.. Whats funny is had the service manager been contrite at all about HIS COMPANY not assembling my bike correctly or about the ridiculous timeline to get parts I probably would've felt fine about paying as I knew the cost.. Its the principle about not being treated great by the dealer, and them having a great chance to make it up. .. Maybe you guys are use to being treated like crap as a customer but Im not and I dont and the clearest way to voice that is to give someone else my business. I have no plan to slander them on yelp or tell people not to go there. This is a fairly unique situation I would think so who knows how they will choose to resolve it.. But having the parts guy, who is awesome, call me to ask for payment isnt going to cut it.. I dont waste my time getting "Po'd" over anything I simply solve the problem.. Thanks

subguy 08-03-2015 05:35 PM

I just looked in my parts catalog. The shield they put on is not applicable for XL1200X and XL1200V the 48 and 72. It is for bikes with mid-controls. It is not suppose to be on your bike. Thats why it is not on my 2014 48 but was for my 2007 XL1200. That's why it was not there. How can that be the dealers fault?

You are upset about it for nothing. Don't believe it? Get a 2015 parts manual for your bike. That explains why it did not have a part number when I looked it up on Ronnies Oem parts online. I only looked at the 48... Not suppose to be on the 48.

There WAS NO factory assembly problem. Your 48 came without which is correct.

However I did put on mid controls on my 48. I think I will order the part now that I have the part number and pay for it as it is not a stock part for my 48. If they gave it to you free. They did you a good deal as it again doesn't come from the factory with it for 48 and 72 models with forward controls.

If you have any complaint it is the person who told you you needed it is an idiot and I wouldn't trust them ever. You did not get cheated on the dealer prep...again it is not suppose to be on your 48. Maybe you should point this out to them and everyone can feel better.

bgup619 08-03-2015 05:48 PM

So they had my bike for 6 days for nothing??? I am telling you exactly what they told me.. "A heat shield between you roil lines and pipes was never installed and your oil lines have almost melted all the way through.. another 10 miles and you would've dropped all your oil"

This is verbatim.. anything else you are saying about part numbers etc is not relevant to this topic.. What they said and did and how it was handled is the point... Try and stay with me here..

J929626 08-03-2015 06:09 PM

To answer your original question: Yes you are out of line if you do not pay them for services rendered.

ew25950 08-03-2015 06:20 PM

OP, pay the agreed install fee and move on. The install fee and warranty work are totally separate incidents. You already said it's not about the money, but it seems like you want $omething from the dealer.

Look at the silver lining, they prevented you from dumping oil while riding. Don't like how they treated you over this? Talk to the Service Manager and GM (you did this or are doing it now). Next time you need service, parts or anything take your business where it's earned and not this dealer if you prefer.

Let's see some pics of your 48 and/or this shield. What color did you get?

golfblues 08-03-2015 06:32 PM

Dealer service issue am I out of line here?

I think you owe for the pegs as agreed on. Maybe a 100.00 gift card would be worth asking for to make you feel better. At least you would use it at the dealership so they wouldn't be losing much especially if the heat shield wasn't required on your model.