General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you keep riding after your best friend is killed riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:18 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

My condolences goes to you and your friend Steve.

I've lost my 'tailgunner' 4 years ago to an senseless accident. Some guy was in a rush, hurry to get to work and made an left turn right in front of my buddy. He survived for a few minutes then DOA at the hospital.

Attended his funeral. Long line. Just unbelievable which tells me he was well liked guy. I just lost it when seeing pictures of us together everywhere in the funeral home. Then his wife stopped the receiving line by his casket, walked over to where I was standing/waiting as I LOST it again when she smiled and hugged me.

His wife, Sandy told me, "My hubby, Norm wouldn't want you and our usual riding friends to stop riding !." I got choked with tears running down my face and thought it over so many times.

Didn't ride for the next 2 years as I was dealing with my Shoulder Injury via Worker's Compensation and my friend's senseless death via Motorcycle/Vehicular Accident.

Come May 2013, My other riding buddy asked me to ride with him and 4 other friends down to NC/TN (Deal's Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive) for a week in memory of Norm. That was my first ride I enjoyed the most and truly realized doing what I loved to do. Riding, That is.

Have been riding ever since with no fear. I thanked his wife, Sandy in person several times the 2 years as she was actually shedding them happy tears, smiling and laughing. Such a strong woman, Just wow, Just wow.

I'm not going to preach you what you should do or should not do when it comes to your decision to continue to ride now or later. However, I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Riding is the love of my Life,

Thorey

Old 08-20-2015, 07:03 AM
an Uncouth Barbarian
Road Warrior
Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Yep!
But I must ask....When someone you know dies in a car accident, do you quit driving a car?
What a comparison, hard to believe you made it.
Out of all of the replies to the OP, only 3 insensitive ******* replies. You 3 don't know what it takes to be a man, so you should just STFU.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by an Uncouth Barbarian
What a comparison, hard to believe you made it.
Out of all of the replies to the OP, only 3 insensitive ******* replies. You 3 don't know what it takes to be a man, so you should just STFU.

It was a legitimate question...A motorcycle is a form of transportation as is a car.
Someone dying in a motorcycle crash is no more tragic than someone dying in a car crash, and people never even consider not driving a car again after someone is killed in a car crash.

So why do you think the comparison is not logical?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:51 AM
BCKNBLK
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a legitimate question...A motorcycle is a form of transportation as is a car.
Someone dying in a motorcycle crash is no more tragic than someone dying in a car crash, and people never even consider not driving a car again after someone is killed in a car crash.

Riding a motorcycle is more of a choice than driving a car. Yes you choose to drive a car too; however, it's more of a necessity to life than a motorcycle is. Had he been in his truck he would still be alive.

I lost a close friend in a car accident too but I HAVE to drive for my job to support my family. I don't HAVE to ride my CVO - that is a choice!

There are many ways to look at this but it's truly hard to say how you would feel unless you have been in my shoes and felt what I am feeling.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:55 AM
BCKNBLK
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
My condolences goes to you and your friend Steve.

I've lost my 'tailgunner' 4 years ago to an senseless accident. Some guy was in a rush, hurry to get to work and made an left turn right in front of my buddy. He survived for a few minutes then DOA at the hospital.

Attended his funeral. Long line. Just unbelievable which tells me he was well liked guy. I just lost it when seeing pictures of us together everywhere in the funeral home. Then his wife stopped the receiving line by his casket, walked over to where I was standing/waiting as I LOST it again when she smiled and hugged me.

His wife, Sandy told me, "My hubby, Norm wouldn't want you and our usual riding friends to stop riding !." I got choked with tears running down my face and thought it over so many times.

Didn't ride for the next 2 years as I was dealing with my Shoulder Injury via Worker's Compensation and my friend's senseless death via Motorcycle/Vehicular Accident.

Come May 2013, My other riding buddy asked me to ride with him and 4 other friends down to NC/TN (Deal's Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive) for a week in memory of Norm. That was my first ride I enjoyed the most and truly realized doing what I loved to do. Riding, That is.

Have been riding ever since with no fear. I thanked his wife, Sandy in person several times the 2 years as she was actually shedding them happy tears, smiling and laughing. Such a strong woman, Just wow, Just wow.

I'm not going to preach you what you should do or should not do when it comes to your decision to continue to ride now or later. However, I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Riding is the love of my Life,

Thorey
Thank you for kind words and honesty! No decision will be made based on my emotions right now and that I know for sure. I am only searching for thoughts and words from those who have been where I am right now and feeling what I am feeling and those words have meant the most to me and have meant more to me than anyone knows. I reached out to the community because I am very confused, hurt and wondering why right now. It will take time, a long time, and I know that. I am just reaching out for some comfort from those who have been in my shoes and I truly appreciate every single message on here as well as the PM's I have gotten from those who chose not to respond to the thread.

Bruce

Old 08-20-2015, 08:56 AM
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very sad. Sorry for you.

When all is said and done, you will do one of two things:

1. You do ride again, in his honor and memory.
2. You do not ride again, in his honor and memory.

Either way, you embrace your memory of him and do what you feel is right.

You can actually do both: Think of him when you ride, and when you choose not to.

One day at a time. One choice will prevail in time.

Do not try to solve this immediately.
You have too much going on.
Be sad. Be devastated. Be supportive to his family.
YOU CAN'T FIX NORMAL. It is ok to be devastated.

Repeat this frequently as your mantra:
"Sad but Strong, Sad but Strong"

Saying this, then believing this, embraces the two realities you need to face to move on in the healthiest manner.

There are no more magic words.
Let time now do what it does.

Come back here for support. Good people here.

Onward.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:03 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BCKNBLK
There are many ways to look at this but it's truly hard to say how you would feel unless you have been in my shoes and felt what I am feeling.

I have been in your shoes many times....Though I never once even thought about quitting riding motorcycles.
There are lots of ways to die in this world and eventually every one of us is going to find out which one will end us, but I'll live my life to it's fullest until that day and if my choices kill me, so be it.

Life is too short to give up something you truly love doing just because it might be a bit more risky than something else that you do.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:13 AM
an Uncouth Barbarian
Road Warrior

Motorcycle, completely exposed. Automobile, completely enclosed.
The odds of dying from a motorcycle crash are much, much higher than in a car. If his friend had been in a car for his accident it is probable that he would not have been killed. Very good possibility, even probable that he would have sustained only minor injuries. May have walked away completely unscathed. Chances of that on a motorcycle are mighty slim.
There is no doubt that the death of someone you love is tragic, no matter the cause, but you can't compare motorcycles to cars.
But that wasn't the point of my post. I was pointing out to a few insensitive clods who think to be compassionate, and contemplate your own mortality, and wonder if you should chance your wife and children mourning your death prematurely is worth it, is less than manly. And that anyone who does think it unmanly, does not know what a man is.

Last edited by an Uncouth Barbarian; 08-20-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by an Uncouth Barbarian
Motorcycle, completely exposed. Automobile, completely enclosed.
The odds of dying from a motorcycle crash are much, much higher than in a car. If his friend had been in a car for his accident it is probable that he would not have been killed. Very good possibility, even probable that he would have sustained only minor injuries. May have walked away completely unscathed. Chances of that on a motorcycle are mighty slim.
There is no doubt that the death of someone you love is tragic, no matter the cause, but you can't compare motorcycles to cars.
But that wasn't the point of my post. I was pointing out to a few insensitive clods who think to be compassionate, and contemplate your own mortality, and wonder if you should chance your wife and children mourning your death prematurely is worth it, is less than manly. And that anyone who does think it unmanly, does not know what a man is.

Do you ride a motorcycle?

If so.....What the hell are you babbling about?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:33 AM
an Uncouth Barbarian
Road Warrior

Do you ride a motorcycle?

If so.....What the hell are you babbling about?

Are you really so stupid as to ask if I ride a motorcycle?
If you do not understand what I said in my previous post, then there's nothing that can help you.

Quick Reply: How do you keep riding after your best friend is killed riding