General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you keep riding after your best friend is killed riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's like a soap opera in here with all this crying.

Last edited by Thumper09; 08-20-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Bruce - you have my condolences and I really feel your pain, 2015 has been a bad year for you and your family.
you can't expect your extended HD family to say anything other than how they feel and how their own experiences have shaped them and their personal decisions to ride or not
some of the members of this dysfunctional family are going to say some insensitive things others will be very sensitive to your circumstances

whatever YOU decide - YOU and your family have to be at peace with
Hug your family and tell them you love them, you'll never forget your friend and 'big bro' and he would understand any decision you make
Good Luck - I hope the grieving process brings you all comfort

Old 08-20-2015, 02:51 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,432 Likes on 4,751 Posts

I keep coming back to this thread. I want to add to my original post: put the scoot up, don't sell it. You'll know when your mind has healed. I stayed drunk for a year, mean nasty bastid...then I woke up. You will too. Take care.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:39 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,122 Likes on 4,755 Posts

Got a short letter from a pastor friend, today. While it has nothing to do with your dilemma, it has everything to do with it. Thought it might help you in this moment in time:

A pastor friend of mine has a son who was in a terrible skateboarding accident yesterday. The boy was in surgery within an hour of the tragedy but his condition is poor and there may be permanent brain damage. Dave, my friend, is a good man who has only ever done ministry with integrity and a God-honoring attitude. He is an example of what a pastor is supposed to look like in every area of his life. Please join me in seeking the Lord to heal his son and strengthen Dave’s family through this hour of testing and trial.

Events like these test our souls. We can become shaken and uncertain. Where is God? I thought this…. I thought that. Uncertainty is not saying in situations like this “I don’t know” but rather saying “I can’t know”. We cannot ever possibly know all that will come our way, circumstance wise. However, there is much we CAN know. The answers are not within ourselves but lie outside of us, within God’s mind and heart. God reveals what we need to know through His word. This is why it is so important in the days in which we live to be people of the book.

hope that adds to the puzzle that you are trying to piece together

Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.
Psalm 55:22

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 08-20-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,523 Likes on 6,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
I keep coming back to this thread. I want to add to my original post: put the scoot up, don't sell it. You'll know when your mind has healed. I stayed drunk for a year, mean nasty bastid...then I woke up. You will too. Take care.
Yeah. Being a drunk, mean, nasty bastard. Much more manly than asking for help from some experienced bikers.
Grow up.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:08 PM
BCKNBLK
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
Got a short letter from a pastor friend, today. While it has nothing to do with your dilemma, it has everything to do with it. Thought it might help you in this moment in time:

A pastor friend of mine has a son who was in a terrible skateboarding accident yesterday. The boy was in surgery within an hour of the tragedy but his condition is poor and there may be permanent brain damage. Dave, my friend, is a good man who has only ever done ministry with integrity and a God-honoring attitude. He is an example of what a pastor is supposed to look like in every area of his life. Please join me in seeking the Lord to heal his son and strengthen Dave’s family through this hour of testing and trial.

Events like these test our souls. We can become shaken and uncertain. Where is God? I thought this…. I thought that. Uncertainty is not saying in situations like this “I don’t know” but rather saying “I can’t know”. We cannot ever possibly know all that will come our way, circumstance wise. However, there is much we CAN know. The answers are not within ourselves but lie outside of us, within God’s mind and heart. God reveals what we need to know through His word. This is why it is so important in the days in which we live to be people of the book.

hope that adds to the puzzle that you are trying to piece together

Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.
Psalm 55:22
Thank you for the kind and thoughtful words. In times like these it's hard to see out of the clouds we are in to try and make sense of it all and that's way I reached out so I am not alone in the feelings I am having. Thank you so much!

God Bless!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:36 PM
gizmo42261
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your loss.a buddy of mine died on his bike two weeks ago here in morgantown wv.
Somehow he got tangled up in a two car accident that happened in front of him.I've lost at least a half dozen friends on motorcycles some caused by their own neglect some caused by others.its bad enough to here or read of things like this but when it's someone you know it puts your *** down in a chair and makes you think.so whatever choice you make will be the right choice for you.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:43 PM
BCKNBLK
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gizmo42261
Sorry for your loss.a buddy of mine died on his bike two weeks ago here in morgantown wv.
Somehow he got tangled up in a two car accident that happened in front of him.I've lost at least a half dozen friends on motorcycles some caused by their own neglect some caused by others.its bad enough to here or read of things like this but when it's someone you know it puts your *** down in a chair and makes you think.so whatever choice you make will be the right choice for you.
Thank you - those are the feelings I am going through right now.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:52 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackHeart
....It was not motorcycling that killed your friend. .... May he rest in peace.

....... how do you ride after that ?
..... you think about him in the wind, throw your leg over the saddle & roll.
..... he'd want you to keep riding... so, remember him, be ever vigilant, fully aware & do what you both loved doing.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:55 AM
johnnyseven
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God bless you my friend and stay strong. Sadly like you and many others here I have gone through a similar experience. I lost my best friend just over 2 years ago. We grew up together, at times we lived together, and we always rode together. He was my only riding partner.

When he passed away I knew right away I had to keep riding, It's the only thing I am real passionate about, however it was still tough to get back on the saddle and it took a while before I would let my wife (passenger) ride with me again. Riding alone my mileage has really suffered but I am starting to get the passion back. I just bought a new bike and may even start going to some local rides to meet new people.

I don't really have any advice for you as you seem to be handling it the best way you can, just take your time and put your trust the Lord.

Quick Reply: How do you keep riding after your best friend is killed riding