General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bike to choose? Total confusion.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 02:16 AM
KYfishtail
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to ride them all, then you'll know. I've ridden my slim on 400 to 600 mile days no problem, but I did have to change out to a more comfortable seat. Didn't like the ergonomics of the street bob or the low rider, and I didn't like the shakey rubber mounted motors on either dyna. I much preferred the softail with the balanced motor.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,565 Likes on 3,812 Posts

Ride what you think looks pretty on you for a while. If you live long enough, you'll find out what suit's you.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,534 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by RexD
Hi all,

SLIM S
............ I like to ride my bike much more aggressively and corner harder than its floorboards would probably allow ..........
ALL IN ALL
If there was a slim with the cornering clearance of the street bob, then I wouldn't be in doubt. But there isn't. On the one hand, I love the cornering clearance of the street bob. On the other hand, I would appreciate the (expected) power and stable ride of the slim s.

What is your experience with these bikes to help me decide?

Thanks
Rex
Rex: I have a Street Bob and love the Slim. I did two test rides on a Slim and I found that the footboards dragged even on the lame *** test rides I did with the salesman leading on another bike to make sure I didn't go too fast.

It's not just the boards that do it, it's the cornering clearance of the bike itself. I converted my Street Bob to be more like a Slim with an FL front end. That front end was shorter than the original Dyna front end, so I lowered the rear a little to make it level. Even with the boards my bike now has, and the lowering, it still has more cornering clearance and lean angle than a Slim. If hitting it hard in the curves is something that you like, I think you'll be disappointed with a Slim.

Only you can make this decision. Good luck with it.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:03 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolaid
Not this **** again...
You haven't been here long enough for that reply...lmfao

Old 09-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

None, Street Gilde it! My latest was a Deluxe only because it was a steal. Had I found Street Glide for a comparable cost I would have jumped on it.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts

I went through this exact decision not long ago. My memories of the Deutsch Autobahn are getting hazy (I lived there 1975-1979) but you definitely want a substantial bike on those things.

I narrowed my choices down to the Dyna Lowrider, the Dyna Switchback, and the Fatboy (Softail). I chose the Fatboy for its low center of gravity, which makes it a very handy bike. It is also very stable on the Freeways here. I like the fat Softail tires. While our freeways here in Southern California are not quite like the Autobahn, speeds from 75-85 MPH are not uncommon. Any of these bikes, or for that matter the Softail Slim, would be a great choice.

I have never once dragged my floorboards on the Fatboy, but others have said that they do.

For someone spending a lot of time on the Autobahn, the Road King might be a good choice too, as others in this thread said. You cannot have too much stability if you are driving on that Autobahn.

Last edited by Redlegvzv; 09-12-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:52 AM
RexD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your input, everyone. I appreciate hearing your experience.

I'm down to either slim s or street bob.

Yesterday, I had a real good test ride on the breakout. I was impressed at how stable it was at highway speeds and at the same time it's plenty agile in city traffic. However, it's not for me. I really like the fat rear wheel but when riding the bike, it becomes clear that the fat rear wheel is there in spite of handling rather than because of improvements to handling.

The slim s and the street bob were at the dealership but none of them I could test.

The slim s is downright beautiful. Its lines are nearly perfect and I really like what it signals. Further, the 110 engine and cruise control are big plusses for me.

The downside for the slim is definitely the low leaning angle. Yesterday when riding the breakout, it was very clear that I would need to decide on that as a factor. The slim has a bit more leaning angle than the breakout but not much. When test riding the breakout, I scraped the pegs on the first turn out of the dealer parking lot and at every tight turn and every roundabout after that. I am undecided of whether I would be able to live with that. On the one hand, I think it could be a marker of how much I lean my angle and just be a premise for riding. On the other hand, I do appreciate riding my bike harder and once in a while I like to lean it hard at speeds to just get that sweet feeling of dynamic riding.

The street bob was standing at the dealers too with forward controls and drag bars. I really like it as a no-nonsense bike. It's way cheaper than the slim and riding wise, it has the good leaning angle as you mentioned, Crazy (Btw, thanks for your great input!) If I buy the street bob today, I will love riding it for the next five years but I will be longing for the slim and its stable riding and its alms distinguished looks. Price tag and leaning angle are so much in favor of the street bob that I might just go in that direction.

In two weeks, I will have a chance to test ride the street bob with forwards and drag bars - which is how I would mod it in case I bought it. However, there's no chance to test ride the slim. Therefore I would still appreciate input on the slim. And for those of you who have experience with both the slim and the street bob I'd love to hear your comments.

Thanks
Rex

Old 05-02-2017, 09:30 PM
SunDevil45
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went thru the same thing. Slim S drew me in, breakout is a beastly looking machine from the back & I even tested out a FLHRXS, great mid between softies & big boy touring monsters & finally picked up a new deluxe. You can go 200 wide tire on the FLSTN quite easily, bob & chop or replace fenders for a breakout like look, Cholo it out low rider style & the best thing, at least in my eyes, was all the options for the Deluxe out there. Occasionally I'll do longer rides & wanted to be able to do 2-up rides. The seating for the Slim & Slim S were very limited when compared to the Deluxe 2-up saddle options. I may be mistaken, but I also think stock the Deluxe has a bigger lean angle than the Slim or Breakout. Not a ton more & I drag my boards on occasion in sharp twisties, but just so many way to go with a deluxe.

BTW, if worried about height, go air ride. Shotgun Shock or SAS & have the best of both worlds. Sweety low look & raised height for ride comfort.

Last edited by SunDevil45; 05-02-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:47 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,242 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by RexD
Hi all,

I am searching for the right bike. It has proven to be a long process for me - and a process with twists and turns.

I could use a bit of input if some of you would take your time to share your insights and experience with the bikes below.

Right now, I'm torn between three bikes:
- Street Bob
- Breakout
- Slim S

I rode in and around the city to visit customers during the week. Occasionally I take 3-4 hour rides - and 3-4 hours back - to another part of our small country and once in a while I go on longer rides on the autobahn in Germany or the Swedish highways.

This means that I need a bike that I can throw up on the sidewalk on a corner in the center of the city. It should be agile in city traffic. And it should handle longer rides at higher speeds comfortably.

For these purposes, I have ruled out touring bikes and sportsters. I had thought for a long period of time that a v-rod would be my weapon of choices but I've grown so accustomed to Harley look and feel that I would miss that.

Here are my reflections on each of the three bikes:

STREET BOB
I've ridden it with mini apes and mid mounts which did not feel right to me. However, the other day I sat on one with drag bars and forward controls and it felt real good. I would like it in traffic and backroads because I can throw it around like a sportster. However, judging from reviews, it appears that it is not quite as comfortable on longer rides as the softails.

BREAKOUT
I really like the wide rear tire and the riding position feels great when I sit on the bike. However, I would be real annoyed about scraping pegs all the time. I read in this forum that you get a lot more leaning angle when replacing the stock pegs with aftermarket pegs that don't have the peg feelers. I would be a bit worried, though, about what you scape when the peg feelers are gone. I like the looks of the breakout. What I don't care so much about is the lack of customization options compared to the Street Bob.

SLIM S
I've never ridden a slim. And I won't have a chance to test ride one. I've sat on one a few times and it feels good. I don't feel as if I sit much lower than on the breakout. And that's a positive in my book. I love the looks of the slim! I've had it for desktop on my computer for a while and when I think of buying one of the two other bikes, I don't think I would be quite so happy seeing its 'face' when I open my laptop as I do now every time I look at the slim on my desktop. However, the slim is such a leaned back ride and low. I like to ride my bike much more aggressively and corner harder than its floorboards would probably allow and I'm not sure what the riding position feels like in city traffic with quick turns and much more dynamic driving than just cruising. As I mentioned, I will also be going on longer rides and I expect that the slim s will probably be good for that. Furthermore, I presume that the slim s will have the most power with its 110 engine which is a plus - together with the cruise control which is great for longer rides. And unfortunately I won't have a chance to test ride one.

ALL IN ALL
If there was a slim with the cornering clearance of the street bob, then I wouldn't be in doubt. But there isn't. On the one hand, I love the cornering clearance of the street bob. On the other hand, I would appreciate the (expected) power and stable ride of the slim s.

What is your experience with these bikes to help me decide?

Thanks
Rex
Go to the dealer and test ride a few models and find one you are comfortable on - it's free and you can answer your own question. You're the only one that can answer that question.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:11 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Low Rider S. Big engine, double discs up front, and handles well too. Not to mention they look mean!

Quick Reply: Which bike to choose? Total confusion.