General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&S bottle jack failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:38 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Go to harbor freight and buy an bottle jack. When My yellow jack failed, I just bought another one and modified it to fit the jack. It just took me longer to jack the bike up with the new bottle jack
The new bottle jack will most likely not fit or attach properly and then why buy another one when J&S will overnight a new one, no charge. They stand behind their products with no questions asked, try getting Harbor Freight to do that!

The following users liked this post:
roadkinglobo (11-23-2017)
Old 10-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 860 Likes on 482 Posts

Use another jack to get it high enough to release the safety latches. Then let it down!

Also if there's a screw at the end of the bottle jack extending it might get you enough lift.

Last edited by Red; 10-09-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Mello03
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok guys thanks for the suggestions. I had 2 issues. One, I had an air bubble that I couldn't bleed. Second, the release valve was stuck. This jack was all sorts of messed up. I spent a lot of time with Steve from J&S and we went through several troubleshooting ideas. The jack wouldn't clear the bubble and raise, AND wouldn't release. I was stuck period! What I had to do was as red suggested and slide a bottle jack in between the jack frame and existing jack. I then lifted it enough to release the safety latches and slowly released both jacks, but had to force the J&S jack ram down as I went. Finally, one safety slot at a time I was able to get to the bottom. Then the J&S jack started releasing letting the bike down FINALLY after forcing it. What an *** puckering ordeal. They're sending me one but not overnighting it. I wish he would've offered to overnight it but whatever. Just glad to have it down. I thought I'd have to rig up a hoist as mentioned. Alls good as it's on the jiffy now.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 10-09-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: profanity removed
Old 04-27-2016, 10:14 PM
NCHD
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Mello3, I'm curious how this turned out for you? Is your new bottle jack from J&S still functional or did you install a different brand bottle? I am waiting for a new bottle from J&S. I just received my lift a couple days ago and the bottle jack was bad right out of the box! Bled it to death and still wouldn't lift all the way up. And that's with no weight on it. Thankfully I never tried raising the bike!

Old 04-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by NCHD
Hi Mello3, I'm curious how this turned out for you? Is your new bottle jack from J&S still functional or did you install a different brand bottle? I am waiting for a new bottle from J&S. I just received my lift a couple days ago and the bottle jack was bad right out of the box! Bled it to death and still wouldn't lift all the way up. And that's with no weight on it. Thankfully I never tried raising the bike!

Wow. That sucks. You would think that a $400.00 jack would at least be checked at the factory before being shipped out. I`m sure they will replace the bottle jack.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Talk about some bad luck.

Harbor Freight is looking better all the time.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:50 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

My Silver bottle died last year,They sent a new one within a couple of days.New one is black,hope it lasts longer than 7 or 8 years like the first.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:35 PM
NCHD
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Ha! The bad bottle I had was black. They have been very friendly and are sending a new one free of charge but they clearly have some quality control difficulties. Every bottle jack should be installed on a test rig before shipping to the customer, IMHO. They are obviously not doing this. The Jack is otherwise much higher quality than the Harbor Freight. But obviously it's useless without hydraulics!

Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 PM
BigTinVA
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NCHD
I am waiting for a new bottle from J&S. I just received my lift a couple days ago and the bottle jack was bad right out of the box! Bled it to death and still wouldn't lift all the way up. And that's with no weight on it. Thankfully I never tried raising the bike!
This is the exact problem I am having. I just received a new J&S jack and assembled it. The bottle jack operation didn't feel right from the get go, but I mounted it up anyway. I went to use it for the first time this past Saturday and was unable to lift my bike up to the first safety stop on the jack, I could pump like crazy with no resistance on the lever then occasionally I could get two pumps that had resistance and the ram would extend a bit.

I was never able to get a human on the telephone so I contacted J&S this week through the contact form on their website and was told in an email response to bleed the jack per the enclosed instructions. I removed the bottle jack from the jack and bled it per the instructions. I could get the ram to raise to full height one time, lower it down and pump it up again and it will only go to half height. I lower it down again and the ram will not extend again until I follow the bleeding process again with the same results.

I contacted Jamie again and was told to bleed the bottle jack from the point where it stalls. I have no idea how to do this and I am frankly frustrated with this "premium" jack that I have been unable to use along with the customer service from J&S. I have watched their YouTube videos on bleeding, but can't get this jack to operate. I was close to just ordering a new bottle jack from them (for another $48.31 shipped with the holiday discount), but I don't feel like I should have to spend even more money on this thing.

Can anyone offer suggestions to try?

Old 06-29-2017, 12:52 PM
joes bar and grill
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

$400.00 bucks for a jack that you have to fix before you can use it? I don't care how nice they are that is flat wrong.

The following 3 users liked this post by joes bar and grill:
BigTinVA (06-29-2017), Prot (12-05-2017), Quipuha (05-18-2021)

Quick Reply: J&S bottle jack failure