General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When it comes to Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:04 AM
Buckmaster299
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When it comes to Street Glide

Ok, first off, I'm sorry if this has been asked and I missed it in my search on the forum. I suck at searching stuff properly.

Still on my quest to find me the bike that I am willing to drop $$$ on and I keep getting drawn back to the StreetGlide/RoadGlide models in bikes. I have done the comparisons on the HD website and the differences have me a little confused/torn. When I look at the StreetGlide for instance, across the base, special, and CVO model, The biggest differences I see are the Infotainment, speakers are different. Seems like with the CVO model, they really beef them up, but IDK if they bump them up enough to be a 40k bike. The next big differences I see are the the looks(wheels, exhaust, paint, etc...) When going between the base and Special, it appears to be mostly paint differences. From Special to CVO, it seems that wheels change. Again, I am not skilled enough in the HD area to know if that is worth a 10-15k price hike over the Special. Throughout the rest of the comparison, the differences seem to be minimal on paper between the bikes. Am I missing something here? Yes, I know that the CVO has the 110ci engine, but is 7ci in engine, a little bigger speakers, and other stuff that I stated. This brings me to my question/delimia. Would it be worth it to get the StreetGlide Special, save the 10-20k difference in price and put that toward making it a better model than the CVO? Again, still not knowledgeable enough about MC stuff to know what kind of work is involved in radio, exhaust, wheel, and even engine changes. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts/help with this. Again, sorry if this is a noob repost question.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:38 AM
SD lumpy
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

IMO the cvo is way over priced. you can take the 10k and buy a lot of up grades that will make it yours. a beefed up 103 will eat any 110 stock.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SD lumpy
IMO the cvo is way over priced. you can take the 10k and buy a lot of up grades that will make it yours. a beefed up 103 will eat any 110 stock.
+1. To me part of the fun is planning and doing the mods over time. With one exception, (the 2014 Breakout), I don't get the CVO thing, but that's just me. If I were you, I'd go the Special route and do the mods over time. You'll save a bit of cash too. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:02 AM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SD lumpy
I agree with this, however price is all relative, a CVO may not be that expensive to you. If that's the case buy the CVO and have a damn good time. I know two guys that have street glides one is a special and one is not, the only difference I can tell between the special and base is the special has a gps screen. I am sure there are some other differences and I bet someone will answer because that is such a popular motorcycle!

Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

The new CVOs are grossly over-priced. When I bought my CVO SG in 2010, it wasn't as bad of a price jump - now though, HD has priced themselves out of the market. When I browse the CVO forum, there are hardly any new purchase threads popping up with pictures. IN years past, they were plenty.

Anyway, I think the 'Special' version of each bike is good compromise. It has the ABS and security, along with the Infotainment option. As to Road Glide or Street Glide, that's certainly personal preference.

My CVO SG is no long a SG, as I converted it to a RG. Personally, I don't see myself on a Batwing bike in the future. Not bashing, it's just not my taste.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:12 AM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

I think your first decision is the road glide or the street glide, after that has been made then make the decision on what specifics you want. I have progressively began to really like the road glide.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Buckmaster299
Tourer

Looks like ya'll are saying kind of what I was thinking also. I'm still deciding if i want the Road or StreetGlide. But I think I'll just stick to the special, and spend the rest of that money to make it mine and do some tinkering with it.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:28 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm on the other side of the coin, sort of. I love the CVOs and I think you get a lot of content for the extra money. Problem is, if it's not the type of content you like, you're paying for stuff you don't need/want.

I have the $$ to buy a CVO, hell, the missus even said get one if ya want one...and I bought a standard model (they didn't have SG/SGS in '13, but if they did, I'd have bought the SGS).

Next time around, I may consider the CVO mostly because I love the look of the paint, wheels, and extra bling...but even with the 110, you still need to do a Stage 1 on it, so there's more $$.

But like others have said, it's a lot of fun modding you bike to be your own. Just make sure you get the options that can't be added or are too expensive to add later on.

And as to the RG vs. SG part, batwing all the way, man!!

Old 11-25-2015, 01:10 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

If you are:

A) planning to do mods to turn a special into essentially a CVO

And

B) planning on selling the bike for something else in the next few years

Then you might be better off going with the CVO, as you will get a decent chunk of that price difference between the special and the CVO back in resale value.

If you want to mod in a different direction than making the bike like a CVO, or are going to keep it long term, you're probably better off going with the special and modding as you go.

The reason is that the factory mods on the CVO will be included in book prices, where you will lose most if not all of the price of aftermarket mods on a resale.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Buckmaster299
Tourer

Originally Posted by dandrumheller
If you are:

A) planning to do mods to turn a special into essentially a CVO

And

B) planning on selling the bike for something else in the next few years

Then you might be better off going with the CVO, as you will get a decent chunk of that price difference between the special and the CVO back in resale value.

If you want to mod in a different direction than making the bike like a CVO, or are going to keep it long term, you're probably better off going with the special and modding as you go.

The reason is that the factory mods on the CVO will be included in book prices, where you will lose most if not all of the price of aftermarket mods on a resale.

Good point. Didn't think about it like that.

Quick Reply: When it comes to Street Glide