General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no dealer prices threads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 02:20 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Why no dealer prices threads?

Maybe I've missed something, but there doesn't seem to be too many discussions on dealer prices, which dealers discount, which dealers go above msrp, etc. On the Corvette forum, that is one of the most discussed topics by people looking for new Vettes. What gives?

Old 12-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,230 Likes on 2,948 Posts

If you do a search, you will find many threads regarding pricing. The downside to those threads is, you never REALLY get to a cost conclusion that applies across the board.

Not only is every dealer different, every deal is different. What I paid in central iowa is immaterial if you're buying in arizona. Sales taxes, license plate fees all vary. What transportation, setup and prep fees all differ.

You can surely buy one at msrp in any state, depending on your negotiating skills and time of year, possibly under.

The only deal that matters, is yours. If you're happy with it, it's all good.

Many here will tell you all kinds of prices and stories, some accurate, some bs. Some, I'm sure don't even know what they paid.

Happy hunting!

Old 12-20-2015, 03:09 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,756 Likes on 3,519 Posts

It's easy at my local dealer, in prime season bikes sell for MSRP. Only game in town. If you don't like it, then the closest dealers are 3-4 hrs south, 5 hrs east, or 12 hours west. Then try and get your bike serviced.

Only time you get a break is if they are having some kind of end of season promotion or clearing out last years bikes. Then there are some good deals, otherwise it's like pulling teeth to get a free T shirt out of them. It's a matter of timing, if you are in no rush, start dropping in around January or February.

If you are one of those lucky S.O.B.'s who are snow free year round, then disregard my post.

Jim

Old 12-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts
Old 12-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

Fair trade laws state that there can be no publicly published apples to apples explanation of prices, otherwise our whole bull&%#$ based sales economy would collapse.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:11 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 526 Likes on 364 Posts

Cause there is always that one person that will say I got a better deal than you.

Very hard to compare because each state is different. Just keep in mind that dealers with big inventory means big discounts.

Biggs HD in San Marcos has a gigantic inventory. I got my 2015 Road King with abs and sec for 18k OTD which includes a sales tax of 9.5%

Old 12-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,887 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Talking about buying prices, is like talking about gambling.

Everybody says they won, came home ahead, beat the system, got the best of the "house".

Old 12-20-2015, 06:29 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Maybe I've missed something,,,
On the Corvette forum,,,
Maybe because this isn't the Corvette forum.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:45 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnMn
Maybe because this isn't the Corvette forum.

Clever.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:59 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member

The invoice is interesting. I always figured that the dealer has to make a certain amount to stay in business, hope to make more than that if they can, and does back flips when someone just writes a check for whatever the dealer tells them. I suspect the dealer makes more money % wise on trade in bikes.

Obviously, many factors enter into a deal, they make a little if they finance, some on "dealer prep" fees, if they can sell you insurance, accessories, give you more for your trade, but want top dollar, etc. I sure want them to stay in business, but if a dealer 40 miles away can sell me the same bike for $1500 less, they are going to get my business. Depending on what model someone buys, I'm confident it usually can be had for less than MSRP.

Quick Reply: Why no dealer prices threads?