General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wondering how much more Made-in-America parts would be

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Traditional
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wondering how much more Made-in-America parts would be

Just bought a timer cover kit and shifter linkage cover for my Deluxe. Both made in Taiwan, and both of superior appearance.

I paid pretty good money for them, but doubt the Taiwanese worker is getting much of that, which makes me wonder how much more an American made equivalent of the same parts would have cost with perhaps a little less margin to HD & dealer?

Are there aftermarket parts/products that are actually made in America?

Old 01-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,686 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Traditional
Just bought a timer cover kit and shifter linkage cover for my Deluxe. Both made in Taiwan, and both of superior appearance.

I paid pretty good money for them, but doubt the Taiwanese worker is getting much of that, which makes me wonder how much more an American made equivalent of the same parts would have cost with perhaps a little less margin to HD & dealer?

Are there aftermarket parts/products that are actually made in America?
Sure. S&S for example, to name my personal favorite. Lots of others too.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,992 Likes on 17,500 Posts

You ain't paying the rice eater that made the parts your paying the 1/2 dozen middle men in between him and you and that goes for made in the US too.............

Old 01-05-2016, 11:28 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Hand raised.Made in America by Americans and yes it's expensive.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:37 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

We sell different things here, both import and American but our American bearings are 4x what the imports are.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:44 AM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Depends on what it is, too. Let's take an H-D jacket at 500$ vs Fox Creek or Just Leathers, at 450+. The hd could easily be made here and sell for the same price as it is now,(like the 2 brands just mentioned) but NOT at the same profit margin. Would hd be willing to make it in the states to create employment, make customers happier and live up to the name "American legend" but forgo a higher profit margin? Not unless customers demand it.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

One of the problems that having so much made off-shore, is that the previous talent pool of manufacturers is getting smaller and smaller in the USA.

Soon the best mold makers, chromers, fabricators etc. will all be from other countries. The next generation of Americans is showing little interest in factory or manufacturing work. They are mostly more interested in information technology than running a mill.

Soon the option of making things in America will not only be more expensive, but probably impossible.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,992 Likes on 17,500 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
One of the problems that having so much made off-shore, is that the previous talent pool of manufacturers is getting smaller and smaller in the USA.

Soon the best mold makers, chromers, fabricators etc. will all be from other countries. The next generation of Americans is showing little interest in factory or manufacturing work. They are mostly more interested in information technology than running a mill.

Soon the option of making things in America will not only be more expensive, but probably impossible.
That's why old school wheel turners are making more than the resident keyboard pounder's where I work. We looked for months for another machinist and not a CNC monkey and ended up hiring another 60 plus yr old, younger with the skills just aren't out there anymore.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:17 PM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul

I somewhat agree and also agree it is sad. It's not totally this generations fault though. We are going where there is money and security. The way many American companies treat the help is sorry at best.
My first job out of college was at a manufacturing plant that involved many skilled trades. I loved watching raw materials come in one side and finished product out the other. If not for corporate shenanigans I might still be there. I loved to see the old timers work their trade. The plant is closed now, and all those craftsmen are retired or otherwise. It's sad. It wasn't because of the competitive global market (we were competitive), but more about chasing the bottom line and profits.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Without regulation costs, items made here could be competitively priced. But regulation costs and taxes have skyrocketed so high to make that impossible. This year regulation costs are going up even more. I would guess that a third of the cost of building a Harley is all regulation. Is it any wonder why companies are moving out?

Quick Reply: Wondering how much more Made-in-America parts would be