General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad modifications

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,321 Likes on 5,680 Posts
Default Bad modifications

I read this forum everyday and hear a lot about the great mods we do to our bikes. I wonder how many not so great mods are out there? Anyone ever mod your bike and instantly regret it? If so what mod was it?
I had an 02 Super Glide with Screaming Eagle slip ons. I wanted more noise so I put a set of Cycle Shack drag pipes on her. Worst mod I ever did, the bike was a slug in the low and mid range and didn't perform well until I was at wide open throttle. Took the drags off and went with a set of V&H Short Shots and solved both the noise and performance issues.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:52 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't do any modifications to my bike I know I won't like.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:58 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,503 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Yes, years ago I sunk all kinds of money in a glide (motor, suspension, paint, audio) you name it and of course lost my *** when I sold it after a few years. Now I just do the stuff I know will make me happy, no more experimenting.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:20 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Of course one would have to know my wife to appreciate this, but she is off the charts in her level of creativity, as well as her ability to make unique, one of a kind..... things.

For this reason I endulge and encourage her to come up with stuff, as often as possible. Some of the stuff she makes is beyond amazing! Some stuff, eh. As a result, on occasion I wind up sporting some weird *** $hit on my bike, such as well meaning but misguided tassels and fringe. Yeah, it looks cool in the hobby room, but as soon as I get it on the bike I get the whole "gay cowboy" vibe going. And as soon as he's onto the next project, OFF IT COMES!!!

Old 02-08-2016, 06:43 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,819 Likes on 11,323 Posts

These mods can't be good.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:57 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I had put exhaust on my bike when i first got it. Rather then go with what i knew i liked i listened to people at the harley shop and got a vance and hines, i hated it, hated it so much within a year i blew another 1700 bucks on a new exhaust tuner and install again. I am about to make the switch again as i am going to do fuel moto build and since i don't live close i ordered their exhaust to make sure i get the perfect map. Hoping i am happy with the exhaust, we will see.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Dezz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, kuryankyn hyper charger.. might as well have thrown my money in the trash.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 PM
jimjlips
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Bikerlaw is your wife a he?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:56 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,072 Likes on 2,556 Posts

I can't think of any right now because I've done very little to this bike.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Carter Stindberg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say that I don't have many complaints about how Harleys are basically designed so my mods are always pretty conservative.
I enjoy my old (2007) Road King Police for what it is; a comfortable touring bike that performs better than I need it to.
My biggest mod so far is a Mustang seat and some custom covers, although I'm thinking of adding oil pressure and oil temp gauges.
I mostly like to spend my extra money on keeping it meticulously maintained to insure 100% reliability.

I'm hedging on installing a Bagger Brace because I have yet to be convinced that it's needed, but that's the extent of how far I might go with it, although I might paint it one day just for fun (used to paint cars for a living and won some trophies on occasion).
I read about so many of you spending thousands of $$$ on stuff that disappoints and it just breaks my heart.

Quick Reply: Bad modifications