General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,696 Likes on 3,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
I think it depends on shield.

It does, I got caught in the rain on my trip to Canada last year and the shield with my 3/4 SHoei was awesome....

The following users liked this post:
Jaime013 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:01 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
It does, I got caught in the rain on my trip to Canada last year and the shield with my 3/4 SHoei was awesome....
Question about your helmet: I am assuming it is a J-Cruise (seems like its the only one with a face shield).....what I don't see is any safety certification (DOT, Snell, etc), or am I missing something?

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet....ruise&h=23&t=1

thanks

Jaime013 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:08 PM
nannynooch
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I rock the J cruise, being with a Shoei since 2001 on a Sport bike they are like the Cadillac of helmets. I have tried and owned many others just not as comfortable or noise dampening. Also coming on Post I have to show my face and the J cruise makes it easy with a clear face shield. That's probably 90% of why I bought it in the first place. Otherwise I would still be wearing my X12.

Jaime013 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:41 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Nolan N44

Jaime013 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 04:29 PM
dieter621
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Helmets have driven me crazy! I have always worn a half helmet but decided to go with a 3/4. I purchased a Bell 500 that fit great but was very hot despite the open face. I have been looking for a non mushroom helmet with vents. The Bell 500 would be perfect if they added vents. I guess the manufactures do not realize that an open face half or 3/4 does not let air into the top of the helmet. Your face is cooled off but your head sweats because of a lack of fresh air. Oh, Bell, you have nice colors of your other helmets, please add some to the 500 with a vent! HJC you new helmet sizing is way off. I feel like I have a wash bucket on my head but at least you have vents.

Jaime013 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 04:35 PM
nannynooch
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dieter621
Helmets have driven me crazy! I have always worn a half helmet but decided to go with a 3/4. I purchased a Bell 500 that fit great but was very hot despite the open face. I have been looking for a non mushroom helmet with vents. The Bell 500 would be perfect if they added vents. I guess the manufactures do not realize that an open face half or 3/4 does not let air into the top of the helmet. Your face is cooled off but your head sweats because of a lack of fresh air. Oh, Bell, you have nice colors of your other helmets, please add some to the 500 with a vent! HJC you new helmet sizing is way off. I feel like I have a wash bucket on my head but at least you have vents.

Great post

Jaime013 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,696 Likes on 3,425 Posts

Originally Posted by overthehill?
Question about your helmet: I am assuming it is a J-Cruise (seems like its the only one with a face shield).....what I don't see is any safety certification (DOT, Snell, etc), or am I missing something?

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet....ruise&h=23&t=1

thanks
No it's a RJ Platinum, I have a cheap snap on visor.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
That depends. On how long you've been riding, climate, traffic, critters, if you have a windshield and/or fairing
I bought my first helmet at a Honda shop. I intended to buy a 3/4 helmet but the salesman talked me into a HJC FF. I'm glad he did. My bike only had a small windshield, and I got a lot of buffeting, and bugs hitting me. It was quieter with a FF.

If you are a new rider, it's a good idea to use a FF, while you gain experience. I know 2 riders who wrecked their face their first year. I used mine for 6 years on a Vulcan 750, the the first 2 years, with my Ultra. Thanks to the fairing I mostly use a 3/4 now. FF if cold or rainy.
Good luck.
After using an Arai and a Scorpion FF, I sprung for a Scorpion EXO-GT3000 Modular helmet. It's a perfect fit, gets huge air flow, and has a beautiful paint job: silver/white and I added red reflective lightning bolts to the back and sides for additional conspicuity... my mantra for survival is See and be Seen. It also has room for my SENA Blue Tooth for communication with my wife. I feel much better being able to receive and make calls to her and potential emergency calls.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Every spring I get tempted by the half helmets, somehow I pass each time in favor of my full face. I have a Shoei RF 1100. Quite, comfortable. I took the visor off to feel the wind and have Wiley X shatterproof sun glasses. I got the helmet in white for greater visibility.

As others have mentioned, the full face is good for protection not just from possible impact form form nois,sun and wind on my long trips and even weekend rides.

If I'm going to wear one, I figure I might as well have more rather than less protection. I've seen pictures of me in group rides and the white really stands out.

But every year when the weather turns warm, I get tempted again. Then I remember the pictures of I've seen on the Internet when rides do end badly.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,597 Likes on 6,338 Posts

This is what I recently purchased. Of all the helmets I have worn in the last forty years, so far this has been the best. The only thing that comes close was a full face fulmer I had in the late 80's that is no longer in production. Fulmer made better helmets in the 89's than they do now. I was told they even sold the company. I am not sure if that is true or not.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ld-half-helmet

Due to different head shapes, what is perfect for one person is terrible for someone else.

I used to have a full face HJC. Not only did it interfere with my peripheral vision, it was so hot, especially if I had the windshield on my bike, that when I would take it off, I would have to wring my hair out because it was soaking wet with sweat.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ld-half-helmet

Quick Reply: Helmet advice