General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW Wide Glide Handle bars/ Fork ISSUE??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:28 PM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation NEW Wide Glide Handle bars/ Fork ISSUE??

Hey guys! (hope this is in the right spot!) I finally got a brand new 2016 Wide Glide last Saturday! It was brand new off the trailer! I loaded it up, got home with it, pulled it off my trailer and started down some back roads. After getting it out on a straight away, I noticed my handlebars were crooked to the right! At first I thought it was just the handlebar bushings but after closer inspection the handlebars seem to line up straight with the top tree, and going down the road the right fork looks to be a quarter inch to a half inch closer to the tank than the left fork! Whats going on here? Has anybody else had or heard of this issue with a brand new bike? I have an appointment to take it up there Friday to have them look at it. I hope they don't try to charge me for anything since I've already left with it.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Jackpot Johnnie
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Post a couple photos from the operator's position. It will be interesting to see what they say at your dealership.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:10 PM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate

You really can only tell while going down the road. It will be hard to take a picture like that with my phone going down the road, but I'll try. Give me a few minutes. How do you post pics on here with your phone by the way?

Last edited by LEEROYWILLY; 03-15-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:36 PM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate

Just tried to take a pic. You really can't tell much from it

Old 03-15-2016, 06:53 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Interested to hear what the dealer says on Friday

Old 03-15-2016, 08:10 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Interested to hear what the dealer says on Friday
The dealer will say "they all do that" I wish this was a LOL, so good luck.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 PM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate

I hope this is just my imagination but it seems like it pulls to the right slightly when I take my hands off the bars. More so at 60 and up

Old 03-15-2016, 09:36 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,494 Likes on 2,483 Posts

In '90 I bought a brand new FXSTC. The bars & risers were cocked slightly to the right. I rode it like that for a few years, then I decided to fix it, by loosening & adjusting the bars & risers. it was perfectly straight after that & ya know what? It seemed strange to me after years of riding with it cocked.

Prolly just slightly misadjusted on the assembly line; I'm sure they will get it fixed, but...

Did you just buy it without test riding it first? People think new vehicles should be perfect, but often times they are not. I test ride everything, even when I buy new.

"but it seems like it pulls to the right slightly when I take my hands off the bars."
So, don't take your hands off the bars!
HAHA sorry; I couldn't resist. Is your bike a single disc front brake? Sometimes they will pull slightly to one side because the rotating mass of the disc acts like a gyroscope; seemed like most of my single disc bikes pulled to the right, especially my '99 FXSTC. Also, the crown of the road can have an effect, especially with cars.

Oh yea...Don;t be taking any more pics while you're riding!

Last edited by dickey; 03-15-2016 at 09:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LEEROYWILLY (03-16-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 10:03 PM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate

Well to me it kinda looks like the whole front end is cocked a little bit to the right by looking at the top tree. It also seems to pull to the right at 60+ Your right though, I should have rode it before I took it home. I was just so nervous as it is my first Harley. It was fresh off the trailer. I wanted to get out on a back road and get use to it because the dealership is on a busy freeway. I should have rode it before I left. I hope it's something as simple as losing everything up, straightening and tighten it back down.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:18 AM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

Might want to check the rear wheel alignment. If that's off, it'll make the bike do what you're talking about.

Quick Reply: NEW Wide Glide Handle bars/ Fork ISSUE??