General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy Hauler, I need one for 2 bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:20 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumper1
Winner...I have a 25ft camper. Towed locally to state parks with a 03 Silverado. Felt it was marginal then. Took a trip to TN and the hills and mtns killed me. Bought a F-250 Triton V-10 and it made a world of difference. I am following both threads as I am considering trading for a tow hauler. I have not seen many under 26 ft with a slide out. Depends on what you want but for me a slide out is important cause you will want that extra room. You can go bigger but then you certainly will want a bigger truck. We also like to use state parks. If you go much bigger than it gets harder to fit in some spots. Let alone drop a ramp. Some set lower than others which will effect the angle of the ramp. Lots of thing to consider.
I agree about the braking, lot of folks overlook the fact that when you have to come to a sudden stop a lighter truck pulling a rig is a handful. You make a good point about the state parks and the length of the parking spots, I also have ran into that issue at other locations. Enough room to park the rig but it does not allow for the room needed to drop the ramp. My solution was to back halfway in, drop the ramp and unload bikes then close the ramp and back the rest of the way.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:25 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Are those built sturdy enough to handle a ton of bikes and equipment? Did you do the rear door/ramp? I don't think I've ever seen one like that. I've been looking at pickups and trailers, hadn't thought of a motor home conversion. Just want something that will haul a Harley and a scooter or trail bike out of the salt belt in winter and serve as a base camp.
There are several manufactures who have both Class A and C motor homes with garages and rear ramps. The big consideration is that with a motor home your only mode of transportation will be the Harley unless you tow a vehicle behind the motor home. That may not be a big deal unless it is raining or you need to pick up a lot of groceries etc...

With a travel trailer you always have the option of your pickup for transportation without breaking camp