General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best care for leather?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:28 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 982 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
I've used Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner for some time. Works great for me.
Another vote here for Fiebings. Their Neatsfoot oil is good too. It was all I used to use on my horse tack and saddles.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:28 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,253 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
Great for trying to scare people, but useless without any decent reasoning for it and/or cites.
Not trying to scare anyone. I don't use it because for many reasons but if you have favorable results with it continue to march.

If your oil contains silicone it could be bad for the natural leather.
Silicone waterproofer uses suspended silicone in a dispersant (water). This silicone layer that you just placed on top of the leather is non-reversible. You are sealing in and sealing out all oils, waters and other mediums. Wax can be thought of as similar. Wax can almost completely be removed, but never fully.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,669 Likes on 1,661 Posts
Old 03-29-2016, 09:27 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,079 Likes on 624 Posts

If a cleaning is needed I use saddle soap. If I feel it is getting dry I will use a fine application of mink oil. Jacket is 12 years old and is still in great condition. I figure a few hundred years of track record of cowboys using saddle soap and mink oil for their leather gear has to be a proven method considering how long some of that stuff has been around.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 09:55 AM
gregski
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Been using Obenaufs for years. Great stuff. You can even buy it by the gallon!

Old 03-29-2016, 11:07 AM
streg2
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see it mentioned but HD seats are not leather, they are vinyl. I had a friend "conditioning" his seat not knowing.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,728 Likes on 3,256 Posts

Yeah, MOST of the HD seats are vinyl, but they also make some leather ones too. Check the P&A catalogue. And I believe some of the stock CVO seats are leather too.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:09 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Murphy's Oil Soap

Old 06-06-2016, 02:22 AM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumper1
Anyone use Bee's Wax?
was doing a search of the forums just to see if I could find anyone using it, saw some beeswax product at a tattoo/bike show here this weekend. my brother in law and I rode the poker rally and walked into the venue to turn in our hands and there were two women working a booth with a product called Leather Better made with beeswax and a citrus ingredient. the BIL's chaps are well worn, he last cleaned the bugs off them with his garage pressure washer.

the one woman spotted his worn looking gear and called him over, she applied this stuff onto his chaps and boots...they looked like new in just a few minutes. the other girl asked if I would like some applied to mine, my boots are part leather and part synthetic type material (Thor 50/50 boots) and she said it didn't matter, the stuff works on pretty much every surface. I've had these boots for 10 years, they looked brand new after she was done. the beeswax also waterproofs, she poured water on my boots along the seams and the water beaded up and ran off.

we each bought a tin, $25 a pop and she threw us a free one. after I got home I thought about trying it on my inner fairing where it had been severely sun faded from the previous owner who must have let it sit outside for a few years. I was pretty amazed to see how well it worked, applied and it instantly brought the color back and stayed that way after being wiped with a clean cloth. I guess I'll have to see how long it lasts for.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

There is no single product for all leather. Different applications require different care. I use mink oil for my boots, belts, saddlebags, etc.. My finer leathers get a conditioner.
There is a member here who posted a link to a product he uses for horse saddles and ranch gear, I lost the link and never got around to ordering it. I hope he chimes back in.
Mink oil needs to applied correctly. I saturate the item and let it bake in the sun 4+ hours and then wipe it down. I get excellent results at a very low price. Been using it all my life.

Quick Reply: Best care for leather?