General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline + paint = ARGH!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
From what you said,it wasn't leaking after you finished job and checked it.Something softened that gasket up and it should be OK with gasoline.Wondering if Canada has ethanol in their gas like we have in the States.Over 10% of ethanol will cause problems with seals and gaskets which were not designed for use with it.
Yes most stations have "up to 10% ethanol". Shell stations have no ethanol in only their premium gas. This is stated right on the pumps. I try and use Shell premium when ever I can.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:56 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,767 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC
The gasket looks like it was way over torqued to me. I feel for you. I would be sick about that!
It wasn't. There are metal spacers inside the holes that the screws go through. The gasket material is swelled around them, and they're not crushed. I used a torque wrench, and torqued them to the spec in the factory service manual.

Cheers!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:21 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

That does definitely blow having that happen to your paint job. Something that I was curious about. Since you followed every thing to the letter when you replaced the gasket and it still caused this much damage to your paint job, I was wondering if you went back to the dealer and jacked them around about what happened, if they would be able to do anything to help repair the damage. Who knows, it might have been a faulty gasket to begin with and maybe you could convince them to help with the repairs, just an idea.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:31 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
That does definitely blow having that happen to your paint job. Something that I was curious about. Since you followed every thing to the letter when you replaced the gasket and it still caused this much damage to your paint job, I was wondering if you went back to the dealer and jacked them around about what happened, if they would be able to do anything to help repair the damage. Who knows, it might have been a faulty gasket to begin with and maybe you could convince them to help with the repairs, just an idea.
I thought about that, but as soon as you do any work yourself, they won't accept any responsibility, even for defective parts. I'm friendly with the staff there, though, so I'll run it by them and see what they say. I'm not expecting anything other than a "sorry, you're on your own" response, though.

Cheers!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:40 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Clammy
I thought about that, but as soon as you do any work yourself, they won't accept any responsibility, even for defective parts. I'm friendly with the staff there, though, so I'll run it by them and see what they say. I'm not expecting anything other than a "sorry, you're on your own" response, though.

Cheers!
Well good luck to ya and I understand where you're coming from but maybe this time your luck will get better.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:55 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Clammy
It wasn't. There are metal spacers inside the holes that the screws go through. The gasket material is swelled around them, and they're not crushed. I used a torque wrench, and torqued them to the spec in the factory service manual.

Cheers!
When was the last time the torque wrench was calibrated?

Another common mistake is to use ft. lbs instead of in. lbs.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Next In Line
When was the last time the torque wrench was calibrated?

Another common mistake is to use ft. lbs instead of in. lbs.
I'm kind of OCD about torquing things to spec, so I always make sure I double check, and do it right.

I have a few torque wrenches. The one I used was a 3/8" drive, in-lb scale. The spec is 18 - 22 in-lbs. I set it to 20 in-lbs. I don't know when it was last calibrated, but it doesn't get lots of use, so I doubt it's so out of calibration that it would cause this to happen. Plus, as I said earlier, there are metal inserts in the gasket that the screws go through, and the gasket swelled around a few of them, causing the leak.

Cheers!

Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Man that really sux. I'd have big tears in my eyes over that one!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Seems like every rubber part I have bought from the dealer recently has been made in Taiwan . Really no suprise that gasoline would attack that gasket like that. It is heartbreaking.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:52 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,913 Likes on 602 Posts

For those with smart phones, there's an app called "Pure Gas"; it was developed by riders and shows where 100% good stuff is available in your area or on your travels.
Sorry about the paint, bud.

The following users liked this post:
Clammy (05-04-2016)

Quick Reply: Gasoline + paint = ARGH!!!!!