General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Searching for a single rail motorcycle trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:48 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I had an older 2 Bike Kendon Trailer. For an open trailer that can be folded into a "relatively" small space it is pretty tough to beat it. On the other hand; if you have the space to store the trailer when not in use, as others have suggested, for extensive towing behind a motorhome? I'd have to go with an enclosed trailer. Open trailers for dirt bikes, short haul emergencies, or moving from one city to another? An open trailer might be OK. But put a shiny street bike on an open trailer behind a motorhome for any serious amount of time/miles and you can probably forget about that shiny part of the description!

The following users liked this post:
0488FB (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 04:44 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
You could build one. I'm thinking of picking up a cheap harbor freight one up, welding all the seems on it and setting it up for 1 or 2 bikes(3 rail). By law I can't haul a bike that runs on its own but when **** breaks down, it's nice to have.
OK, I admit I know about as much about N.Y. laws as I do hauling bikes on trailers(not much) but what is this deal?

Old 06-18-2017, 04:24 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

I have this foldup that is similar to a Kendon, but I believe maybe a little better built. It pulls great and handles the big bikes well. It was made by Myco, out of Florida and I don't think they make them anymore but you may be able to find a used one

Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

First of all: how many weeks or times per year you wanna use this trailer? I wanna use it for a couple of weeks a few times per year. I RENT a trailer. No storage problems, no maintenance problems, no investments. When I need a trailer I simply call the rental company 3 days ahead and make a reservation for rent. It costs me appr. 100 $ a full week, no mileage limits. For $300 per year I can rent it for 7+ years for a folding trailer to start even running financially equal. And no storage problems or storage costs when I don't use a non-folding trailer. And no maintenance, no insurance costs.. So I calculated a break even period of 10+ years. Why the hell should I buy a trailer?

Last edited by Bart van der Meulen; 06-19-2017 at 04:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bart van der Meulen:
BelchFire (10-08-2018), Tony P (06-22-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I second renting. In any case make sure whatever you use that it has good sized tires. From experience small ones wear quickly as they turn much faster. Especially important on long trips.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:35 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

If you insist on an open trailer, Aluma is hard to beat. However, since you have the towing capacity, you can spend about the same amount of money on an enclosed trailer (12') that will haul a bunch of other stuff plus your bike. Think of it as a portable man cave.

A Condor chock and four G3 Cargo Buckles and your good to go.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Allenk
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone in the Denver area is in need, I have a single rail Kendon for sale. Asking $1800. Traded the Street Glide for a Tri Glide so need something bigger.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Had a 3rail Aros for a few years. Used it mainly for motocross/desert racing bikes. Used it for Harleys (2 of 'em), 3/4" plywood and a Yamaha Banshee fit great. It became a 5 X 9 flat bed too. Filing cabinets, washers & dryers, a printing press, and anything else that weighed less than 2 ton, went on.
Now, my nephew uses it to tow his KX race bikes down into Mexico every winter from Hailey Idaho...

Old 06-20-2017, 11:44 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
You could build one. I'm thinking of picking up a cheap harbor freight one up, welding all the seems on it and setting it up for 1 or 2 bikes(3 rail). By law I can't haul a bike that runs on its own but when **** breaks down, it's nice to have.
1) I'm unclear why this thread has been resusitated. I'm fairly sure the OP has already decided what to do;
2) WTF! Can't "haul a bike that runs"? Since when? On what planet? If you work for the media, then that "false news" makes complete sense; otherwise, WTF!

Old 06-20-2017, 12:34 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by sunderhill

I have this foldup that is similar to a Kendon, but I believe maybe a little better built. It pulls great and handles the big bikes well. It was made by Myco, out of Florida and I don't think they make them anymore but you may be able to find a used one
I have owned two Myco boat trailers (46' and 35'). They make the best towing trailers I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot (currently have 4). You can't go wrong with a Myco.

Quick Reply: Searching for a single rail motorcycle trailer