General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Spend a year on a 250cc to 500cc motorcycle just learning how to ride. Take some sportbike training classes during that year.
Originally Posted by gee tee
Buy something lighter and cheaper so that you won't cry when you send it up the road,get your confidence built up and in the meantime have a few test rides on the bikes that take your interest.
Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Do whatever you want dude but personally I would never recommend a big expensive motorcycle to a new rider. I've owned a dozen motorcycles from small metrics to large tourers and it takes alot of experiences and skill to effectively and confidently ride a bigger bike. Bigger bikes are less forgiving and if you have to pick one up you might need help and that just exaggerates an already embarrassing situation. Whatever you decide be safe and enjoy the class.
I am also of the opinion that you should start small with a metric cruiser for a year or two and then move to a bigger bike. Newbie's tend to drop bikes at slow speeds, in gas stations, parking, etc. Even a small drop can cause a lot of dollar damage to a new bike.

But more important then the bike is YOU. It takes awhile to become a skilled rider. My rule is one riding season to attain real basic skills, and two riding seasons to become a skilled rider. From what I remember, the shorter time you've been riding, the more likely you are to get into an accident. So do yourself a favor and get a smaller, easier to control bike, learn to be a good rider, and then move up to whatever you want. You are worth it.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Go to a dealership...look and sit on the bikes you like...rent or test ride the ones you've narrowed it down to...check the price and your finances...take it home. Simple.

The following users liked this post:
Mxdad (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Go to a dealership...look and sit on the bikes you like...rent or test ride the ones you've narrowed it down to...check the price and your finances...take it home. Simple.
You are right picking and purchasing the bike should be the easy part, figuring out where to put your gas cap during fill up and what oil to run is where the difficulty starts LOL

The following users liked this post:
Twospot (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 10:15 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
You are right picking and purchasing the bike should be the easy part, figuring out where to put your gas cap during fill up and what oil to run is where the difficulty starts LOL
That goes without saying. And don't forget what patches to wear or not.

The following 2 users liked this post by ChickinOnaChain:
Mxdad (06-01-2016), Twospot (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 10:54 AM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

FWIW, I rode dirt bikes a lot as a kid, and my first 'real' street bike was a sportster 883. I had ridden some of the bigger bikes, but wasn't comfortable with them. I think starting out on the smaller, more manageable bike really helped. YMMV.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 AM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
To add to that, if you have your M license, some of the dealerships have Demo Days where they bring in a truckload of bikes. You can ride yourself silly trying everything out.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Malaysia..never buy a bike before actually test riding it first.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:16 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by RG2016
Hello all. So.. I will be up and riding this month. Why wait? I won't have my license till the 12th in the mean time I need to buy a bike. I have narrowed it down to a softtail slim OR an fxdwg. The wide glide initially had my eye as I am a new rider. But when i saw the softie things changed. This is my first bike first ride. Any suggestions and words of wisdom for a new rider!?
Regarding which bike for a newbie, I'm in the smaller, lighter, less expensive camp. If you have an opportunity for some off road/dirt riding, that will certainly accelerate your skills. If you will be taking the MSF intro course, they will be supplying the bike [I don't know of any intro course that they don't - and it will be a smaller, lighter, less expensive bike; probably in the 125-250cc range]

Once you get out on the road, don't be intimidated but ride like everyone is out to get you. "Defensive driving" on steroids. Be safe and enjoy.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Let's not forget Helmet/no helmet? Skid lid or full face?

Old 06-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

It is mandatory that you start with a minibike, preferably a honda Z-50 minitrail.
Welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: Help a newbie