General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 03:57 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Spend a year on a 250cc to 500cc motorcycle just learning how to ride. Take some sportbike training classes during that year.
This is the answer. No you won't look cool. Yes, you'll be on a bike that is lightweight and easy to maneuver. Dropping a 700lb bike on the first day of ownership, at a stand-still, in the parking lot of the dealer is a crusher. I've seen it happen, more than once.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

As stated above, your best bet is to test ride any models your interested in. JR

Old 06-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

When I was looking for my first bike last year, I was set on a Dyna Low Rider. However, I ended up with a Sportster XL1200C, which is 100 pounds lighter. I still think about getting a Dyna one day, but it's good I didn't get one for a first bike, because I'm pretty sure I'd have dropped it.

Low speed maneuvers, starting and stopping, avoiding objects (deer, cars)...these take time & skill. I've ridden almost 8K miles on the Sporty, but I still have areas where I need to be more skilled as a rider. I think a bigger bike would hinder that progress, for me.

Be safe and enjoy the hunt for a new bike!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:54 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

go slow for the first K or two...

also Don't and I'll repeat it ""DON'T"" buy a Bike only on its looks....

Buy one that first... fits you ergonomically and second,, one that will meet your riding needs....

IF not you'll be looking for another bike next yr...

Old 06-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Bradbodigon
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had rode my fair share on dirt bikes when I was younger and thru my teens. Finally got a Harley in my 20's. A '15 forty-eight. I love it but I do plan on also getting a street glide next year. The one thing about the smaller bikes is they seem way easier to learn on than a bigger bike. I got a buddy who had never rode before but was set on a street glide cuz he said sportys were girls bikes and slow. He has a few 1000 miles under his belt now and is still intimidated by the bikes size. And my forty eight Spanky's his street glide every time we line them up. The newer rubber mounted fuel injected sportys are quick. IMO, get the bike that you're comfortable on and ride it for a season or two and then go from there. It's a whole different world out there on the streets as far as the hazards and whatnot.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:28 PM
ss313
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My suggestion would be to pick up something cheap now. You're in the height of riding season and prices are near their highest point now. This winter you'll probably be able to find a much better deal on whatever you decide to buy.
As an example, I picked up my 97 Superglide with 7k miles, fresh fluid change, and new tires for $4k. It was 18F with snow on the ground when I went to look at it. He hadn't had any other calls on it!!!

Old 06-01-2016, 08:32 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

What the hay, I always seem to jump in on these...

A smaller lighter bike will accelerate your skill level and learning curve immensely. I don't even care about the dropping the bike side of it. You might ride like crap for years and never drop your bike. But a lighter bike will allow you to explore the limits of motorcycles in a much more comfortable manner. Then you will take this skill to a larger bike and ride much better for it.

This is the only motorcycle forum I am familiar with where a sizeable segment will wade in and argue that you should get the bike you want first thing as a new rider. And in fairness it's your money so do what you want.
But when a buddy buys a 250 and a year later can ride circles around you don't be surprised.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:09 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
It is mandatory that you start with a minibike, preferably a honda Z-50 minitrail.
Welcome to the forum!
Hey, I had the Honda Z-50! That bike was awesome!!!

Old 06-01-2016, 09:20 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by RG2016
Hello all. So.. I will be up and riding this month. Why wait? I won't have my license till the 12th in the mean time I need to buy a bike. I have narrowed it down to a softtail slim OR an fxdwg. The wide glide initially had my eye as I am a new rider. But when i saw the softie things changed. This is my first bike first ride. Any suggestions and words of wisdom for a new rider!?
The nice thing about this forum is you are going to get a lot of opinions, all of them meant to help you, which is great. My advice is to test ride multiple bikes and pick what you want. Forget "big" vs. "small" bikes. Get what you want. My wife with zero motorcycle experience bought a 2016 Fatboy Lo S. She just fell in love with it and it fit her perfectly. This is before she took the motorcycle course through Harley or even had a permit. I told her buy it if you like it. Figured I could always sell it (or keep it for myself). She passed the course got her license and is pushing 500 miles on her bike over the last month. She loves it. Of course she is nervous when she rides (which is good) but she is doing really well and I seriously doubt she will have any issues at all. She is not a big person and her bike is very heavy which to me is good. Low center of gravity, and very heavy, makes it very stable. So long as she does not tip it over she has no worries. Welcome and good luck to you. Harley motorcycles have no equal in
my highly biased opinion....