General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Document your bike with photos for insurance claims

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 12:15 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts
Default Document your bike with photos for insurance claims

A few recent threads made me think about what would happen if my bike got ripped off.

The tip on photographing or video taping your home possessions for insurance reasons has been around for a long time but I never really thought about it for my bike. Last night I was looking at the bike and realized all the small stuff I've done to it and that I probably wouldn't remember some of it for an insurance claim. And we all know the "small stuff" wasn't cheap; and it adds up quick.

So I thought I'd just share this "aha moment" with you. My suggestions for either pics or video are the following. Please feel free to add any ideas.

Personally I like photos better b/c an adjuster can study them and zoom in on details.

First start with the bike in a well lite area.

1) Full shots of the entire bike from every angle.
2) Multiple close up shots of every area of the bike including under the seat for your tuner, etc. Also don't forget the VIN.
3) Inside saddlebags & tour-pacs to show any liners, speakers, etc.

This will probably take about 20 minutes to complete, it's entirely free, and could save you a considerable amount of money should the worst happen.

Be safe everyone!

Old 07-03-2016, 12:58 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Also ensure that the insurance company will cover the extra items, not just the oem bike. I know mine charges extra to cover the mods.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:05 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,386 Likes on 2,651 Posts

Also, keep all your receipts for all the extra stuff you add to your bike.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:50 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

to add to this, someone had given me a copy of this spreadsheet a long time ago. you can add pictures to it plus it gives a good reference should anything happen. also, helps you to figure out how much accessories coverage you really need.

you might need to rename the file to xlsx extension, I had to change it so that the forum would allow it to upload.....

Attached Files
File Type: xls
Insurance Valuation Template.xls (106.3 KB, 156 views)
The following users liked this post:
MikeBel (07-03-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 07:40 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I just paid a company 125- to come out, inspected the motorcycle and I gave them a list of all the aftermarket parts used. About a week later, they mailed me a total value and that was sent to the insurance company.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I agree with your idea and I have a picture library of everything in my House.
However, the only real experience I have with photo's and insurance companies was. Somebody ripped off the wheels from my car years ago (custom wheels / tires). When I showed the insurance company pictures of my car, they said "that's just a picture of a car with custom wheels, that doesn't prove anything". Without receipts for everything you've done to your bike, you may not get anything more despite having pictures.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:04 PM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,654 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Video works well too...

Old 07-04-2016, 02:38 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadflyer
When I showed the insurance company pictures of my car, they said "that's just a picture of a car with custom wheels, that doesn't prove anything". Without receipts for everything you've done to your bike, you may not get anything more despite having pictures.
Interesting point Roadflyer. One way to mitigate that argument would be to start your photos with a shot of the VIN, then do your entire series of the bike, then shoot the VIN again. The sequential file names given to the shots, plus the imbedded metadata (date, time, etc.) on each shot, would basically prove the bike in the photos is yours. I'd try to include some of the tank or fender in the VIN shots so they tie into the full bike shots. This assumes you're using a camera and not a cell phone; I'm not sure what info cell phone images capture.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:19 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

obviously, keeping receipts for everything is a good thing to do. but we all know what happens to receipts sometimes. they get lost, or they just plain fade into blank pieces of paper. I had a situation once where someone messed with my bike and dropped it in the parking lot. when the adjuster (progressive) came out to inspect the damage, I didn't have receipts for some of the parts (bought used). he told me, 'no problem', looked up the msrp online and that's what he gave me for the damage.

if my insurance company told me what they told you, I would think very strongly about a new insurance company.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:40 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 2,812 Posts

You can have all the receipts in the world, does not matter if you don't have additional special equipment/accessorie coverage. There are sub-limits within the policy that would apply.

Quick Reply: Document your bike with photos for insurance claims