General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough talk coming

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts
Default Tough talk coming

So I bought my bike Jan 2015. This past Feb figured out previous owner put 103 in it with cams but the indy that did the work didn't refresh it so it still thought it was 96. I took it to dealer to have different pipes, SE super tuner and dyno. I trust them and know half the staff very well outside of dealership.
Lately been taking longer rides and mileage is half what it used to be. I started wondering if it is too rich on the tune. I finally downloaded the software and pulled the map. The base map they used didn't even have my engine correct. It was for a 96 and didn't have the cams set either.
Now I am 6 months after the work was done. Not sure how to approach the discussion with the dealer. I don't want to be a D!ck and I am certainly no tuning expert but it is pretty obvious to me that someone was either untrained or flat out lazy.

Thoughts? Have you had to go back about work done? My only thing is that it took this long to figure out. I am sure they won't do anything about it now. I can retune it myself over some time.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Just go in there and say something like, "I think there was a mistake tuning my bike, and this is why." You don't have to call someone lazy or untrained to tell them their work didn't meet your expectations. And who knows, maybe there's a reason they mapped the bike that way. Just have a conversation with them, don't accuse them. If they did it wrong, and you approach them without calling them hacks, I imagine they'll make an honest effort to make it right.

The following users liked this post:
MetalSpike (07-19-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 08:58 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah that is what I was planningoing to do.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:02 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

^^^^Catch more flies with honey than vinegar^^^^^^^

Old 07-14-2016, 09:05 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Take it to the dealership and just be nice about it like you're taking to a friend.

I had drag bars put on my last bike and really liked it and it was a great price. BUT...the wiring was in front of the risers and not in the back, like I would have done it. Knowing the service manager personally, I casually mentioned it to him and he said, "we'll take care of it". And they did and in just a matter of minutes. How they did it and that fast, I don't know.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Cazador

I am wondering why the mileage only changed after the last additions. Maybe I miss understood. You said the indy didn't refresh after the 103 upgrade. Then after some work by the dealer, a set of pipes and a tuner and dyno work, it didn't get the mileage you were getting. Seems like they would have had to input that info into the tuner program before the dyno work. Doesn't make sense that they could get the right dyno figures. I am clueless as to how those things work or what info is needed for install. But if you told them it was a 96 and not a 103. It may fall back on your false info. But I still can't figure out how they got it to work. What kind of power increase did you get after the dealer work? Is there a print out of it? Is the mileage loss due to power increase?
Maybe I misunderstood what the sequence of events were?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:48 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member

Previous owner had a 103 kit and 254 cams installed bUT the computer was still set for a 96. Dealer put on the tuner and dyno but the base map is for a 96 with stage 1 intake only. Seems some settings were certainly missed. Mileage went down. Power went from 74 to 90 hp. I understand there will be some mileage decrease but to go from 220 per tank to 112 per tank seems extreme for such a mild build

Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 PM
Cazador

Seems like it would be the opposite. It would be running lean. More cubic inches need more fuel?
Possibly the only way to get the HP numbers they thought you should get was to run it really rich?
Should run like a raped ape once they get everything to match. I would guess that you haven't ridden with anyone behind you. It would smell like raw fuel pretty strong.

Last edited by Cazador; 07-14-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member

I'm a little nervous about that part cause it goes like a cut cat now. Once it gets dialed it could be really impressive

Old 07-14-2016, 10:13 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Did you bother to tell them that the motor had a 103" kit installed before the Dealer started to do any work on it?

Quick Reply: Tough talk coming