General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long road trip..gimme all your advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:35 PM
pegskraper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First long road trip..gimme all your advice

Hey guys, been riding a few years, but have never headed out on the open road for a long trip, I'm going across alberta and into BC for a week or so in 2 weeks. I ride an older 2002 dyna that's pretty mechanically sound. What should I pack, how should I pack it, give me all your advice. I used to run a sportbike and am semi-new to harleys and cruisers in general so any tips would be great! Including what to wear..

I have hd hard mounted saddle bags, and am probably going to pick up one of those harley pillion seat bags, I don't have a sissy bar.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:58 PM
greendragon52
Tourer

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Consider getting a detachable windshield for the ride. Saves a lot of strain on your neck especially if you are going to be doing a lot of highway riding. I rode a wide glide from NJ to Sturgis and having a windshield made a big difference.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:00 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

My best advice (you'll think this is stupid). Aside from basic tools, spare plugs etc. Carry a pen & paper, some super glue & vacuum sealed beef jerky or trail mix... Whatever you like in your bags. If you go down out of the way it can save your life.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gypsylady:
chgofirefighter (07-18-2016), pegskraper (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 09:00 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

wear you're old clothes . shirts undies socks etc, when they are dirty throw them away !plus it gives you room for whatever you buy.

The following users liked this post:
pegskraper (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 09:40 PM
eeyore
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on windshield, most definitely

Rain suit! Packed where you can get at it. And sunscreen

Giant ziplock bags are great to pack your stuff in. Roll your clothes, don’t fold them

Paper map (HOG atlas is great) ‘cuz technology can fail, plus they’re fun to look at

Smartwool socks – warm when wet, breathe when hot

Pack light – wear dirty clothes over & over. If you really need something you can pick it up on the way.

Chaps keep your pants cleaner, in addition to giving protection

One credit card in your wallet, a second in your bag - just in case

I wear my spare key on a cord around my neck – just in case

If you stay in a reputable chain motel it may be a little pricier, but also safer. Plus you get breakfast included – and lunch if you stuff a bagel and apple in your pockets.

Stay hydrated. A bottle of V8 or juice at every pee/gas stop can make a big difference in the way you feel.

Take LOTS of pictures. I also write a few lines every evening about where I went and what I saw that day. It’s fun to look back at later after the trip all becomes a blur.

Ride safe and enjoy!

The following 4 users liked this post by eeyore:
chgofirefighter (07-18-2016), not_so_newb (07-16-2016), pegskraper (07-15-2016), Redlegvzv (07-17-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 12:09 AM
pegskraper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are some great tips! I've got a detachable small windshield, I have rain pants and a leather jacket. Can't decide on full face or half helmet, leaning full face for the better visibility in pouring rain. What tools should I bring, a couple allen keys, sockets, ratchet, screwdrivers I'm thinking..pliers?

Old 07-16-2016, 12:10 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Nevermind the HD pillion bag. Get a large Wolfman dry bag.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:51 AM
BadDogBiker
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In addition to what has already been mentioned, bring an external battery to charge your phone/laptop/tablet whatever. It could help save your life, should your phone go dead without you knowing. Plus put your phone in power save mode it will help some with phone going dead.

Probably wouldn't hurt to have a little extra food.

Definitely bring a rain suit, being wet just makes things miserable all around

Old 07-16-2016, 06:23 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by pegskraper
...I have hd hard mounted saddle bags, and am probably going to pick up one of those harley pillion seat bags...
As mentioned above, consider a medium-sized waterproof duffel bag from some place like REI as any other bag that "suggests" using a rain cover or liner is apt to leak.

Get a decent tire pressure gauge. And ONLY check pressure when you're near a working air source. Can't tell you have many times I've seen someone check the air in their tires in some motel parking lot only to loose so much air they couldn't safely ride to a station to air up.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:24 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

pack you rain gear on top, never bury it under other stuff. pack a roll of toilet paper too, truck stop *** wipe is not guraunteed to be there.

Quick Reply: First long road trip..gimme all your advice