General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:38 AM
highguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida drivers

Last Thursday I left Tampa Florida heading to my uncle's house in Atlanta. The following day we were supposed to embark on a 5000 mile Road Trip with my dad, stepmom, my dad's coworker, and cousin. I was heading north on I-75 it was near the Ocala exit when a driver trying to pass a semi switched lanes into me at 80 mph. His left mirror caught my right hand grip and front brake. This caused my front brakes to lock up and the bike to go down tossing me off.

I ended up with a severely broken left hand and wrist, severely broken left foot and ankle, a broken right hand, and stage 3 road rash on my right arm, back, and right leg. Luckily I was wearing a full face helmet or my face would have peeled off.

This is my 2nd major accident. In 2012 I got hit by a f250 who was trying to beat the light. I had a broken left tibula and fibula with both bones exposed and a broken left wrist.

After the first accident when people would ask me if I would still ride my response was that I would never let another persons bad driving cause me to stop enjoying my love of motorcycles.
Now after this accident I have changed my mind. Florida drivers are way too careless and Florida insurance laws are far too lax. I am sad to say that I will no longer ride a motorcycle as long as I am in the state of Florida. To all my fellow Florida Riders please be safe. Even though as safe as you can be another person's negligence can take your life. Both of my accidents were unavoidable by me and caused by nothing more than people not paying attention.

Left knee

Lower back

Lower rigjt back

Lower left back

Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,235 Likes on 8,376 Posts

Originally Posted by highguy

Last Thursday I left Tampa Florida heading to my uncle's house in Atlanta. The following day we were supposed to embark on a 5000 mile Road Trip with my dad, stepmom, my dad's coworker, and cousin. I was heading north on I-75 it was near the Ocala exit when a driver trying to pass a semi switched lanes into me at 80 mph. His left mirror caught my right hand grip and front brake. This caused my front brakes to lock up and the bike to go down tossing me off.

I ended up with a severely broken left hand and wrist, severely broken left foot and ankle, a broken right hand, and stage 3 road rash on my right arm, back, and right leg. Luckily I was wearing a full face helmet or my face would have peeled off.

This is my 2nd major accident. In 2012 I got hit by a f250 who was trying to beat the light. I had a broken left tibula and fibula with both bones exposed and a broken left wrist.

After the first accident when people would ask me if I would still ride my response was that I would never let another persons bad driving cause me to stop enjoying my love of motorcycles.
Now after this accident I have changed my mind. Florida drivers are way too careless and Florida insurance laws are far too lax. I am sad to say that I will no longer ride a motorcycle as long as I am in the state of Florida. To all my fellow Florida Riders please be safe. Even though as safe as you can be another person's negligence can take your life. Both of my accidents were unavoidable by me and caused by nothing more than people not paying attention.

Left knee

Lower back

Lower rigjt back

Lower left back

I know the feeling, although I was much more fortunate than you. I walked away from my wreck a year and a half ago. I, too, wore a FF helmet which was pretty much gouged up like yours and also saved my face. So, at my age (74 soon) I also feel it is more prudent to give it up, although I sorely miss riding. Heal up fast and may you have many more pain free days in your life......

Old 07-21-2016, 08:56 AM
HDKyle
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OH man, So sorry to hear about this. I hurt for you. It's terrible how impatient people in cages get with no regard for other people. They probably don't even care that they are ruining a huge love and part of your life. I hope you heal fast and wish you the best.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:01 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not just Fla. We have the same problem here in GA as well. I sure hope you have a quick recovery and all heals well.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Ouch! I was born and raised in Florida. Every time I go home I'm reminded on just how bad the drivers are in my home state. On a recent business trip to Miami, I avoided two near accidents - while attempting to leave the rental car lot...

Old 07-21-2016, 10:49 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

That's f'd up glad you had a helmet on and you're alive hopfully you heal up fast, but trust me it's not just Flordia its every place, I've drove in most of Canada and 30 states and it's crap drivers everywhere

Old 07-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,624 Likes on 6,663 Posts

Best wishes sent your way for a quick & complete recovery, OP.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:52 AM
joes bar and grill
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

After driving 2million safe accident free miles i can tell you that you have to pay attention to everything around you all the time, the look 20 seconds ahead of you can save you a lot of grief, you have to know what the people around you are going to do before they do it. Sorry for your accident and injuries. just to be clear I'm not in any way saying it's your fault, just my opinion.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:57 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Ouch!!! I hope they are giving you some good drugs.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Every country on the planet has careless drivers.

Quick Reply: Florida drivers