General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come the rudest people so far have been other harley riders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:20 PM
bigconan
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hippie49
[/COLOR]

It's deer.

Regardless, if one lives in deer country like I do, this kind of thinking will get you killed.
It's usually the deer running into you not you running into the deer.

I've had a deer hit my motorcycle and I went down.

In my cages I have had three encounters with deer and only once did I hit the deer.
It's all about the timing which you can't control.

Don't know about the deer population in Massachusetts but Kentucky is way overpopulated so your deer/lightening strike analogy is a very weak one at best.

Good luck.
Have a feeling you are going to need it.

Very few deer in mass. I may have seen one, in my life. Telling me about deer, serves what purpose? There are risks with everything. If you hit a deer, whether you're wearing kevlar or a tank top, it's not going to make a difference, you're going to be ****ed. lol And like you said, you have never been in a bike accident. So...........

Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM
bigconan
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevada72
Ok........1st the "don't plan on falling" and now this. You're just messin with us aren't you?

I've hit 3 deer in cars. Correction, I've hit hit one deer and two deer hit me. Damn things ran right out of the woods and into the side of me. I pretty much don't ride at night because of this.

Oddly enough I saw this on Facebook prior to your statement on deer and thought of you. Not because I'm psychic, but because I thought it nicely illustrated that sh*t happens and if you are dressed for it, you have a chance at getting up and brushing yourself off like this rider did.

Motorcycle Hits Deer! CRASH - YouTube

I have never even had a deer run across my car. not ever. I live in mass. I've also driven alot in NH. I would think it's much easier to avoid a deer on a bike than in a car. I'm not denying that these things are possible. but everything has risks. That's all i'm saying. I also think bikers tend to over exaggerate the dangers of riding a bike. That's just my personal opinion.

Last edited by bigconan; 07-25-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:43 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bigconan
Very few deer in mass. I may have seen one, in my life. Telling me about deer, serves what purpose? There are risks with everything. If you hit a deer, whether you're wearing kevlar or a tank top, it's not going to make a difference, you're going to be ****ed. lol And like you said, you have never been in a bike accident. So...........

I don't know what I was thinking because it's obvious it serves no purpose.

You already think you know every damn thing there is.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:51 PM
bigconan
Advanced

I don't know what I was thinking because it's obvious it serves no purpose.

You already think you know every damn thing there is.
Not true. But telling me about deers, is going to do what exactly? Make me realize there are some risks involved? I already know that. I did mma for 4 years. I know about risks. I've had severe muscle tears due to weight lifting. I know about risks involved with everything. There are risks involved with driving a car.

I appreciate your posts. Can I ask you what kind of harley do you ride?

Old 07-25-2016, 12:59 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,639 Likes on 12,014 Posts

Not true. But telling me about deers, is going to do what exactly? Make me realize there are some risks involved? I already know that. I did mma for 4 years. I know about risks. I've had severe muscle tears due to weight lifting. I know about risks involved with everything. There are risks involved with driving a car.

Believe it or not, he's looking out for you. But deer is just an example of the many things that can mess up your ride. You don't seem to understand the risks - this only based on other things you have said. But in the end - again - dressing appropriately simply minimizes the risk of injury.

There's a saying I hate, because I don't necessarily believe it. But I guess if you did a poll, there is a lot of truth to it. The saying is it's not if you are going down, it's when.

And when you go down wearing a tank top, it's gonna suck.

They make some nice mesh jackets. Just sayin. Again.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:06 PM
bigconan
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevada72
Believe it or not, he's looking out for you. But deer is just an example of the many things that can mess up your ride. You don't seem to understand the risks - this only based on other things you have said. But in the end - again - dressing appropriately simply minimizes the risk of injury.

There's a saying I hate, because I don't necessarily believe it. But I guess if you did a poll, there is a lot of truth to it. The saying is it's not if you are going down, it's when.

And when you go down wearing a tank top, it's gonna suck.

They make some nice mesh jackets. Just sayin. Again.

That saying is based off of very skewed statistics. Like I said, 50% of all bike accidents are alcohol related. meaning the biker was drinking. subtract and also take away all the sports bikers going 120 weaving around cars in traffic. they get in far more accidents. If you're left with only guys who ride cruisers and don't ride like maniacs, that saying would have no merit in reality. I don't believe that crap and never had. It's a load of bull crap. I personally know guys that have never been in any crash or accident and they have been riding for years.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:08 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

[/COLOR]

It's deer.

Regardless, if one lives in deer country like I do, this kind of thinking will get you killed.
It's usually the deer running into you not you running into the deer.

I've had a deer hit my motorcycle and I went down.

In my cages I have had three encounters with deer and only once did I hit the deer.
It's all about the timing which you can't control.

Don't know about the deer population in Massachusetts but Kentucky is way overpopulated so your deer/lightening strike analogy is a very weak one at best.

Good luck.
Have a feeling you are going to need it.
Thankfully I've never hit one on a bike. One hit my Corvette years ago and did $5,000 worth of damage. That was expensive for the 120 or so pounds of venison I got from it.

Some deer are smart and obey the crossing signs.

Some do it just to prove to the 'Possum that it can be done.

Some don't wait for the coast to be clear.

Some like to jump out at curves.

Don't worry though. They can all read and only cross where humans place the deer crossing sign.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sarah93003:
rubberfrog (07-25-2016), tgmotoman (07-26-2016), Uncle G. (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:11 PM
bigconan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
Thankfully I've never hit one on a bike. One hit my Corvette years ago and did $5,000 worth of damage. That was expensive for the 120 or so pounds of venison I got from it.

Don't worry though. They can all read and only cross where humans place the deer crossing sign.

Nice. A cute harley chick. haha

Old 07-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,511 Likes on 820 Posts

Riding 2 weeks ago on the Cherohola enjoying the ride both riders on an approaching Ultra flipped us the bird. My Lady says WTF! I looked in the mirror and saw that they were pulling into a scenic overlook so I turned around to ask why.

Apparently we didn't wave to them. Good thing it was mid morning and my Irish Princess hadn't been drinking yet...

The following users liked this post:
tlaw (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

You were the one that brought "deers" (sic) up so I went with it but it has everything to do with the unpredictable danger of motorcycle riding which you seem to have no grasp of.

nevade72 summed it up pretty well I think.
(Thanks Bob.)

Pretty sure I'm wasting my time even responding so I'll leave it at that.

What difference does it make what motorcycle I ride?

Originally Posted by Sarah93003

Sarah, sorry about your 'Vette and glad you haven't had the experience of crashing with one on your bike and can only hope you never do.

After much deliberation, I have came to the conclusion that maybe California deer are much smarter than Kentucky deer.
Maybe the illiteracy rate has something to do with that.
Perhaps a program is in order to help alleviate the accident rate.

Quick Reply: How come the rudest people so far have been other harley riders?