General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Lane Splitting: About to be signed into law

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,633 Likes on 3,096 Posts

Late to the thread and being an mid west / east coaster all my life, I've never had the opportunity to lane split. But I understand that it was the CHP that endorsed the practice initially because of the reduction in rear end accidents to motorcyclists in heavy rush hour traffic. Any truth to that?

Old 08-13-2016, 08:20 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Understood, but the conversation is pretty much about lane-splitting on the freeways. And the claim of NEVER being stuck on the Vegas freeway for more than 30-45 minutes is what my response was too.
Well race day traffic in Vegas is MUCH worse then any other day of the year. So as long as the time is an aberration....

Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,085 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Late to the thread and being an mid west / east coaster all my life, I've never had the opportunity to lane split. But I understand that it was the CHP that endorsed the practice initially because of the reduction in rear end accidents to motorcyclists in heavy rush hour traffic. Any truth to that?
Not sure if there's any truth to that or not.

I know that it's always important to leave yourself an escape route when in traffic (lane splitting is one way of doing that) and keeping an eye on what's going on behind you so you have time to escape between the traffic if you're about to get rear ended.

On another note,
This is just an assumption and don't know if it's already been covered, but I think one reason they have passed this law is so they have something to go by in court if a Leo decides he wants to write you up for riding in an unsafe manner. As it stands, they have had no laws to go by. It will be interesting to see the final write up on this new law.

Unrelated info.
My first post other than introducing myself.
Been splitting traffic for 41 years in California. There is definitely a safe way to do it and I find myself moving out of the way of other motorcyclists that feel they got it wired.
One thing for sure, you can't treat it like a video game.

The following users liked this post:
Sarah93003 (11-29-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 11:43 AM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also late to the thread but I too am a huge proponent of lane splitting. Had I *not* been doing so on the 405 one day in Carson I would have ended up wadded up between a Scion xB I'd been following until traffic slowed up and the Dodge Ram pickup that rear ended it. That made a believer out of me!

I have two bikes, and I won't lane split as often on my Triumph Rocket 3 Standard due to its width. My other bike is a left-side/tank-shifted hardtail with foot (not rocker) clutch, no front brake and the throttle on the left side of the handlebars so I have to really "turn up the amp to 11" when it comes time to lane split.

As an aside, I too noticed that LEOs on bikes tend to "part the water" when they lane split. I have two helmets, and I've found that cars are more apt to move aside when I'm wearing a 3/4 face helmet with visor and aviator glasses than when I'm wearing my full face helmet. Intriguing....

The following users liked this post:
Sarah93003 (12-03-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 11:55 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 582 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
Lane splitting is the only way to get around in the Bay Area during rush hours. The traffic there is terrible.

So the only people in the Bay Area to get from point A to point B are on a motorcycle?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:58 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

There isn't a day at some point when I'm stuck in line at the red light when I don't think to myself, 'If I was in Cali, this would be so much easier'!

We'll get it in Georgia once I get so old that I'm on a trike!

Old 12-02-2016, 12:05 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 334 Posts

I couldn't imagine not being able to split lanes. Got stuck on a Vegas freeway on my old bike when there was a bomb threat (backpack on the freeway, obviously a bomb, let's shut down the freeway), couldn't split, and bike started popping, farting, just not running right. Got over to the shoulder and had to wait for it to cool down in 100 degree heat to get to the hotel without blowing it up...not just a personal safety thing, these bikes do NOT do well in traffic. That being said, I've had similar experiences as TRacer, on the same freeway funny enough, where I would have been roadkill sitting behind someone. That being said you still get the morons drinking their coffee while texting and not looking when they change lanes that you still have to watch for. Still worth it IMO. I'm a huge (yuge?) proponent of lane splitting (when done safely).

Old 12-02-2016, 12:06 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
So the only people in the Bay Area to get from point A to point B are on a motorcycle?
In rush hour traffic.....Yeah pretty much.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:51 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Definitely the same in Orange County, if you want to actually get to point B the same day...

Old 12-02-2016, 01:13 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 582 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble

I gotcha, I was being funny.