General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To wear a helmet or not wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Damn, that's a super interesting take on this. In all the debates, arguments, and discussions I have engaged in over the years concerning helmets, this aspect of it has never crossed my my mind. But I will tell you what. Your damn right about it. Will a lifetime of endo's, crashes, sweeping sliders, and catching that triple stop the mini van? Of course not. But my reaction to it will be vastly diferent than a non moto cross riders. Maybe thats nothing, maybe that's all the difference it takes. Just don't know. And frankly, hope to never find out!
I hope you never do to!!! I will tell you what a Harley Davidson will jump a ditch a lot better then people think it will!!! I know for a fact my motocross skills have saved my butt before. On a side note. I had to give up motocross. Knees are done but I have taken up endro and it is a blast! Love the smell of a 2 stroke bright and early in the morning!

Old 08-11-2016, 05:26 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Originally Posted by Bville-Bud
Your head / life your choice. I never ride without one and almost always wear full gear with armor (my choice). Do us all a favor though; I genuinely hope you will never come off at speed without your lid, but if you do don't ask others to pay for your medical bills. Others shouldn't have to pay for your (or anyone else's) freedom of choice.
Hey, don't we ALL have health insurance now, that's the law.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:02 PM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been a union member for many years, been on strike, walked the line, salted the job - all of that. It cost me. I gave that to my brothers. So I do not object to helping to pay for my brother's hospitalization. Never have. Never will. This is not a riot, it's a society with mutual obligations. We're in this together. We're Americans, a union, like it says on the coinage.

But again, the assumption is that helmets make any difference, beyond enriching fat cats and pols... This is an assumption that invites examination. The scientific analysis that matches my own examination strongly suggests that wearing a helmet conveys zero material advantage in terms of safety. If this is true then not only is there no cost or savings, but the "issue" is shifted (this is a trick in rhetoric) from "safety" to "blame", while the Man makes money on the deal. WC Fields used to call that "The Old Army Game, a game of skill, and science." It is. It's the con-game. Any old carnie would spot it. Burroughs would call it "a tasty little operation".

I wear the thing 'cause I have to. But the bugsplat deflections are nice.

The following users liked this post:
hardheaded (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 06:12 PM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

I hate wearing shoes, I am the original bare foot boy. Funny thing is when I get ready to ride, I pull on my boots without a second thought. While riding, I don't worry if the boots make my feetlook big or dorky or hinder my feeling of freedom, etc. etc. etc. I am so use to wearing them that I can't imagine riding without them and it just makes sense to me. When I finish riding, I have a huge smile on my face. Mission accomplished. Boots come off almost immediately, back to bare feet in all their glory. Let my dogs run free!

Oh yeah, by the way I wear a full face helmet. Just read the above statement with helmet in place of boots and you will get my drift. Bottom line, I guess I value my head as much as my feet.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:38 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Anyone who says they do NOT wear a helmet is because it's safer than wearing a helmet is doing so without any basis of fact.

If you choose not to, that's fine. Don't try to fool anyone else by saying it's more beneficial not to wear one. That's disingenuous.

Although I wear one most of the time, I don't always wear one. Just because I don't want to at the time.

The following users liked this post:
Robs2KFLHRCI (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Unless I'm going on a short test ride or running out for lunch in the small town where I work I always wear a FF helmet. I hate wind blasting into my face, not to mention bugs and God knows what flying up off the road hitting me in the head.

I put bluetooth earphones in the helmet so I can listen to tunes or use GPS if I want to.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:59 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by randyp
Riding 10-25mph without a helmet is a joy. Can't be less safe than riding a bicycle unless the bike falls on your head. Anything faster isn't fun for me without a helmet.
You areaway off base, unless you are talking about a kd riding a big wheel tricycle. On a bicycle, the impactful a much the height of your fall as the speed. Same can happen on a motorcycle...you hit something at 25 mph and launch over the bars and land on your head, it's gonna do done serious damage.

But, your noggin...your choice. Just don't use bad analogies.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:10 PM
highguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last month I was hit going 80mph on i75 in Florida. My helmet saved my face. I can't imagine the outcome if I hadn't been wearing it or was wearing the half helmet I used to wear.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bville-Bud
I genuinely hope you will never come off at speed without your lid, but if you do don't ask others to pay for your medical bills. Others shouldn't have to pay for your (or anyone else's) freedom of choice.
I absolutely agree with this. Carry enough medical insurance to cover your bills, and enough life insurance for your wife to live.
Otherwise I (and everyone else) have to pay for another welfare case.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:43 PM
7roper7
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Got bucked off a colt, smacked the back of my head on the soft dirt in my arena. Out cold, concussion.

Think I will always wear a helmet when smacking my head on concrete is a possibility.

Everyone makes a choice. No judgement.

Quick Reply: To wear a helmet or not wear a helmet?