General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Practice using PIN for security system

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Practice using PIN for security system

Bought my Fat Boy almost exactly one year ago, and Friday I decided to test the PIN override system for the alarm. I had set the PIN when I bought the bike and practiced starting the bike without the FOB, but that was a year ago. Really glad I decided to do it again!

Firstly, I misremembered my PIN. (Stupidly did not write it down in the manual; I was sure I would remember it.) Nope. So then I pulled out the 2015 Softail manual -- there is a way to set your PIN as long as you have a FOB and/or you can see what your PIN is before you change it.

Well, turns out there was a trick to this -- I had vaguely remembered that the manual was a little messed up on this procedure. Here is the hint-- ignition has to be on before you begin the procedure -- contrary to what the manual seems to say -- at least in the 2015 Softtail manual.

Anyway, now I have my PIN properly recorded, and I think memorized, and I know how to start the bike without a FOB if something happens. The HD security system works very well, and I am glad to have it. I never have any problems with my FOB or my security system on my Fat Boy, but I am glad to know that if something ever happened I would be able to start the bike without the FOB. And yes, as others have suggested, I have tucked a spare FOB battery in my little stash in the "trunk" of the bike. Secondary insurance.

Moral of the story: 1) record your PIN; 2) periodically practice starting the bike without the FOB.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:09 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,399 Likes on 2,956 Posts

Good strategy.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:27 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

I made my pin a number I will always remember.
I also printed off the directions for starting with the pin and put it in the trunk (easy access) just in case.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:49 AM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 150 Likes on 59 Posts

Took a 3 day trip this weekend. Got to the end of the first leg (150 miles from home) and found that I had left the key fob behind. Called my son at home who said it was laying on ground underneath where bike was parked. Was close enough to start bike. Guess I dropped it during my pre-ride checks. I have the siren on my bike.

Learned a few things during the rest of the riding weekend:
1. I knew my secret code and would enter it in each time to disarm and get her started. Not hard to enter, but you have to know the code.
2. Cant turn the ignition switch on AND lift off the kickstand. Those 2 together meant alarm. Ended up doing it on the kickstand each time
3. If you successfully enter the disarm code and then switch the ignition to accessory and then back to ignition, it will still alarm (it does it because it was off the kickstand and the ignition switch was one.
4. The odometer display WILL flash a message that says "no fob". Only does it once; not long after the code is successfully entered.
5. After some many miles (couldnt tell exactly, but looks to be over 50 or so), the bike will alarm 10 consecutive times for 15 seconds or so each and then reset. No way to enter code until it runs through the alarming cycles. After that, code could be entered. Did this 3 diffferent times.

I did finish out the riding weekend without having a family member deliver the fob to me.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:52 AM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

there are wallet cards in the back of your owner's manual that have the instructions on how to use your security system. These cards also have a place to record your PIN.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I used mine yesterday, it was the first time in the 3 years since I set it. Just a little hint, the ignition switch has to be on and bike on its stand.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you explain #5 ?

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

I agree that practice is the bast way to ensure that you can do it when needed. Thank for the reminder.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

I've had the wallet card in my wallet since I bought mine back in '13; I haven't yet tried it out to make sure it works.

Come to think of it, I also haven't changed my fob battery. Thanks for the reminder; something to do this week!!

Old 09-06-2016, 12:46 PM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 150 Likes on 59 Posts

#5 elaboration: I had been putting in the override code in at each stop without any problems. When we came into town for dinner after running at least 50 miles or more, it went into alarm about 10 seconds after I turned off the ignition. Would alarm for 15 seconds, stop, beep twice and then alarm for 15 seconds again. Did this for about 10 times and then reset back to normal where I could enter the code.

Did this scenario 3 separate times and all were after 50 or so miles. May also be tied into the number of code overrides that are performed. Couldn't discern a sold pattern.

Quick Reply: Practice using PIN for security system