General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying used, buy the warranty just in case.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:00 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Buying used, buy the warranty just in case.

Last wednesday a friend of mine from the sport bike days took the plunge and bought himself a used 2010 crimson sunglo street glide from a H-D dealership.

Saturday he texts me asking if I can ride it and listen to this "knock" he's worried about. Take it for a ride it's no big deal he's hearing the valve train, but I notice a little puddle of oil under his bike when we go to leave the bar. He tells me yeah it did that the night he took it home after we had been riding. It's a Harley so he figures it's normal... Run back to my house grab the inspection mirror and start looking around and I can't find an obvious source underneath, the engine is spotless and the oil is new so it's got no color, but it's almost completely covered from front to back.

He ran it to the shop yesterday, they kept it and told him they were going to have to get into the motor. So much for that thorough inspection and certification program.

If I were a less than trusting individual based on the way they realllllly pushed that extended warranty plan I would suspect they knew that bike was not 100% kosher. They dropped the price on a 3 year plan to $1500 to get him to buy it.

Aside from that it's a stunning bike, Custom dynamics LED's in the turn/tail assembly, CD Plasma Rod's between the fender and bags, led strips on the inner edge of the fender and flare, full vance and hines, chrome dash trim, Focal speakers and an amp already installed.

Once they get the engine squared I would say he got a good deal, $12K that included the 3 year ESP.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:21 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

I'd say thats a good deal, glad he sprung for the warranty though, even with the hassle 12k is a pretty good price for a loaded glide. Around here they're more like 14 for similar and then you gotta argue for the warranty deal on top of that. Sucks his new scoot is giving him problems though, hopefully won't sour him on the bike and kill the enjoyment of the new ride.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by slodsm
I'd say thats a good deal, glad he sprung for the warranty though, even with the hassle 12k is a pretty good price for a loaded glide. Around here they're more like 14 for similar and then you gotta argue for the warranty deal on top of that. Sucks his new scoot is giving him problems though, hopefully won't sour him on the bike and kill the enjoyment of the new ride.
They had it stickered at 14,500. One more reason I suspect they knew it wasn't kosher.

They went with his 10K offer, $500 for a QD kit and backrest and $1500 for the ESP