General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active noise cancelling ear buds

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,178 Likes on 6,218 Posts
Default Active noise cancelling ear buds

I was wondering how many of you use active noise canceling ear buds while riding on a long trip. I am not interested in listening to music, but was curious what it might be like using them. My main use would be listening to GPS turn by turn directions from my iPhone on a long trip. I would not use them for local rides or listening to music while riding.

I was considering these.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_018QC30...nes-Black.html

I like listening to music, but not while riding. I was also thinking they could be used with my appletv. I live alone and work at night. My neighbor is obsessed with lawn care, so I was hoping to use these to sleep with while he mows the grass for the fourth time in a week.

I have a sound system in my Jeep that costs several thousand dollars, so I do have an appreciation for good sound systems.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:19 PM
sbaalman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out these Shure SE215-K Earphones. They earphones and cable are seperate units that can be swapped/replaced for less than the Bose. Shure makes some higher model ones for more $$ but the SE215's are best bang for $$

Old 10-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts

I've tried Bose active noise cancelling earbuds, and they don't work on a bike. They don't seal well, and the wind blows right past them into your ears. The Shures mentioned above are noise isolating, and they work (I personally use the SE315 - a model higher, but the basic design is the same). The real key is getting a good seal in your ear. The Shures come with a good assortment of ear tips. I find the triple flange ones work the best for me.

Cheers!

Last edited by Clammy; 10-18-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:56 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Yes I have when I used to ride super sports . There are cheaper and just as good options than those Bose ones.I could never get those style to work with my helmet or ears so stayed with the gummy style ear buds

Old 10-18-2016, 09:39 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

I use the Bose. They cancel most of the noise but they aren't effective against wind unless you use a helmet that covers your ears.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,178 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Originally Posted by Clammy
I've tried Bose active noise cancelling earbuds, and they don't work on a bike. They don't seal well, and the wind blows right past them into your ears. The Shures mentioned above are noise isolating, and they work (I personally use the SE315 - a model higher, but the basic design is the same). The real key is getting a good seal in your ear. The Shures come with a good assortment of ear tips. I find the triple flange ones work the best for me.

Cheers!
Those are not Bluetooth. If I were to get new headphones without Bluetooth, then they would have to use a lightning connector since apple has done away with the headphone jack on iPhone 7 and presumably future product updates. I don't have an iPhone 7, but my phone is a company provided iPhone 6 which will likely be upgraded at some point in time without any input from me.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Those are not Bluetooth. If I were to get new headphones without Bluetooth, then they would have to use a lightning connector since apple has done away with the headphone jack on iPhone 7 and presumably future product updates. I don't have an iPhone 7, but my phone is a company provided iPhone 6 which will likely be upgraded at some point in time without any input from me.
I use one of these Antec Smartbean Bluetooth receivers with my Shures. They work perfectly, and the Smartbean is small (about 2" x 2"), so it fits easily in a pocket. I clip mine to the inside pocket of my jacket/vest.

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Portabl...ords=smartbean

Cheers!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Clammy

Cheers!
Exactly what Clammy said.

I tried the Bose and returned them because the wind overpowers the headphones, plus, at least in my case, if worn under a helmet, the external noise canceling microphone feeds back as the helmet is to close to he the mic.

I am still trying to find a good solution myself, but had pretty much given up. so thanks for starting this thread.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

At Daytona a couple of years back a friend had custom ear plugs made to fit. They actually put cotton down in your ear and pour this liquid product in and it forms to your actual ears and drys for a perfect fit. Start to finish was maybe five minutes. Pretty quick process and they offered two or three options for mini ear buds molded in them. Sorry but I cannot remember who it was or the name of the company. They were located right outside the front door at Destination Daytona. My buddy said they were a little difficult at first getting in and out. But he love them. Great for loud exhaust and wind noise.

They put something in his mouth to keep,it open during the process which I thought was interesting.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:17 AM
randyp
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Bose QC20 earbuds - they're nothing short of amazing. they cancel out more than even the over-the-ears ones. they're kinda hard to get inside my helmet, though.

The QC30s are probably as good or better.

Last edited by randyp; 10-20-2016 at 05:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Active noise cancelling ear buds