General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First drop, seeking advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Nicholas McCaslin
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First drop, seeking advice.

So I did it, I dropped her for the first time. Bent handlebar, scratched the bottom of my pipes, the left rear signal, the master cylinder and the brake pedal. I was going about 8mph in a turn, the crosswalk paint must have been more slick than I thought it was. Anyway... a few questions.

Should I just bring it to a shop to see if the forks are bent and/or anything else is wrong?

How much do you think they would charge for installing new bars, looking over the bike, and possible doing a few cosmetic things?

I can take pics if it will help. First drop, first post, I'm a rookie here guys so go easy. Thanks for the time.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:45 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,518 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Do you have insurance? Year and model? Are you going to do the work, or have someone else do it?

Was the paint wet?

Old 10-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Nicholas McCaslin
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have insurance, 2009 nightster, the paint was definitely wet. I wasn't even going to consider going through insurance... but I guess I should consider it? I would do the work myself, depending on how much I think it might save me. Not against having a shop do it for the right price.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:43 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,072 Likes on 2,556 Posts

You messed the right side...pipes, brake, etc...but how did it mess up the left turn signal?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-19-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:10 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Sorry to hear you dropped her, but it happens to all of us eventually. The dealer should do an inspection at no cost if you plan to go thru them and your insurance. Their estimates are usually better than the insurance companies anyway. If you choose not to use insurance, which you might when you get a total...it can be rather expensive, they shouldn't charge too much. I'd call all the dealers in your area to find out their prices. Keep in mind that saving a few bucks might not be worth a flip in this situation. Sometimes it pays to pay a little more. My point is paying a little more at a reputable shop could save you a lot in the long run over dealing with less reputable dealer.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:25 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,371 Likes on 2,378 Posts

Paint was wet? Do you have paint on your front tire? Did the contractor not block traffic from driving over the wet paint. If it was due to wet paint and the contractor hired by the local government to do the work I would ask your insurance if they would bring some legal actions against the city and let the city recover from the contractor. Sounds convoluted, unless it was wet from rain some one didn't do their job. Or just fix the broken parts and consider it a learning lesson.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 206 Likes on 107 Posts

The dealer will look at the bike and suggest replacing everything that is wrong with it irregardless of whether it was the result of the accident or not. Insurance will comply. Reason? They can't be sure if it is accident related or not.
Insurance rates will increase until they get their money back or possibly you get cancelled.
Fix it yourself if at all possible or find a independent shop that will replace only what you want replaced.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:41 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Not to be a dick about things, but this all sounds cosmetic. I'd just ride her as-is until you get some more saddle time under you. If you fix everything, you'll just end up dropping it again and going through this all over.

I wouldn't file a claim for this. The stuff you listed is all bolt on. Easy to replace yourself. After your deductible and future rate increases, filing a claim will cost you in the end.

Sorry you stuffed. Glad you're ok. Welcome to the forum.

The following users liked this post:
qtrracer (10-19-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 07:42 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,386 Posts

You can only "drop" a bike if it's standing still. What you had was a low speed crash. I'd replace the bars (DIY) and just live with the scratched parts for a while.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:47 PM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas McCaslin
So I did it, I dropped her for the first time. Bent handlebar, scratched the bottom of my pipes, the left rear signal, the master cylinder and the brake pedal. I was going about 8mph in a turn, the crosswalk paint must have been more slick than I thought it was. Anyway... a few questions.

Should I just bring it to a shop to see if the forks are bent and/or anything else is wrong?

How much do you think they would charge for installing new bars, looking over the bike, and possible doing a few cosmetic things?

I can take pics if it will help. First drop, first post, I'm a rookie here guys so go easy. Thanks for the time.
Are you sure you did not apply the front brake when you had your wheel turned? That would drop the bike fast.

Also, watch your feet when you come to a stop at stoplights, stop signs etc. Watch for oil in the road where you are going to put your feet. As someone said, you never ride the same road twice.

Quick Reply: First drop, seeking advice.