General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yesterdays ride did not go as planned.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:46 AM
Sid1200
Road Master
Received 329 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Yesterdays ride did not go as planned.

I got up yesterday knowing I was going for the day. My usual MO is to start at 8 and ride until noon then find some triple d type place to have lunch and then head back. Normally it is all back roads and small towns type stuff.

Yesterday I got to thinking that if a grabbed some highway I could be in Algonquin Park (one of my favorite places) for lunch. Algonquin is about 31/2 hours from my place by highway. My thinking was I could be at the park by 11, have lunch in the park and then highway home. So 3 1/2 hours up 1/2 hour lunch 3 1/2 home, I could be back by 3:30.

Well that didn't happen. Two hours in it starts to rain a little and I pull off for a coffee break to see if it passes. While sitting there I realize that I really feel like crap. I am a bit hungover and pretty tired it turns out.

After a lot of soul searching I pulled the plug when thoughts of being home in a warm bed in 2 hours seemed better then the further 5 hour ride. I turn back but instead of the highway I start taking the back roads. After a couple of wrong turns I realize that I am way off course. I eventually make it into familiar territory and get back home @ 5:00

My "quick ride" back home took two hours longer then if I would have kept going to the park.

I was a little pissed I didn't make it to the park but is was an awesome fall ride getting back home.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Plan our routes, ride our plan...do you use google maps? Very helpful. Nice roads looks like so it wasn't a total loss...did your hangover go away at least?

Old 10-30-2016, 07:49 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,178 Likes on 6,218 Posts

At least you didn't run out of gas. I hate running out of gas. happened to me more times than I care to admit to, with most of it happening on my current bike.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:14 AM
Clayjenson
Tourer
Received 320 Likes on 128 Posts

Those who wander aren't lost.
That middle pic road sign is awesome!

Old 10-30-2016, 08:40 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default What ever happened....

What ever happened to the beginning scene in "Easy Rider" (the movie) when the gold watch was tossed? If you lived the 60's than you would know what the spirit could have meant to a young man just starting off in life. The part is a little more than 3:10 into it.
I am not saying what the meaning of life is for you but your adventure to me is it is not anything about time or destination but about the ride. Hopefully when your life flashes in front of you for either event you have that memory will be part of you. You are made up of a series of who you are and what you have done in life. In reality, think of all as a cell in a column of pluses & minuses and you will judge yourself on the total.

I would say that this is one in the win column. I have been there and judged myself before almost dying (which I got out of). A good day indeed!

Old 10-30-2016, 09:14 AM
Sid1200
Road Master
Received 329 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Plan our routes, ride our plan...do you use google maps? Very helpful. Nice roads looks like so it wasn't a total loss...did your hangover go away at least?
My clubs motto

No direction and no time limits
Our club was created for motorcycle riders that like to ride with no destination, time limits or rules. We don't ride with GPS, maps or time pieces.

Yes, my hangover went away after lunch.

Originally Posted by Prot
At least you didn't run out of gas. I hate running out of gas. happened to me more times than I care to admit to, with most of it happening on my current bike.
not yet knock of wood

Originally Posted by Clayjenson
This is that corner, real fun with the wet road. The second part of the clip is another corner on the way home.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:48 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,264 Likes on 11,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayjenson
A curve with a recommended speed of 6 mph must be REAL tight.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like some of my short cut routes. They end up being a little further and longer. But have pretty scenery

Old 10-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Y'know, sometimes the best rides come from taking a "so-called" wrong turn. Or sometimes intentionally taking an unknown road just to see where it goes.

Looks like awesome surroundings!

As for planning, yeah sometimes, but not all. Many times it's "east." Then see what happens

The following 3 users liked this post by Mike Lawless:
Ibfuelish (10-30-2016), MajorKG (10-30-2016), Redoilokie (11-03-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Sid1200
My clubs motto

No direction and no time limits
Our club was created for motorcycle riders that like to ride with no destination, time limits or rules. We don't ride with GPS, maps or time pieces.

Yes, my hangover went away after lunch.

not yet knock of wood

This is that corner, real fun with the wet road. The second part of the clip is another corner on the way home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvFuHEbpjB0
Was that video near Hamilton? I used to live in Scarborough and north York and didn't realize there was those kinds of roads up there...
By the way...I really never am lost but I try to plan my route with a map so I have a general idea of where I'm going. My Google maps came in handy to search the curviest road this past weekend in the Smokies...
My nephew said it had snowed in NB already.

Quick Reply: Yesterdays ride did not go as planned.