General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling at speed + DTC's 24 32 41

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 06:50 PM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustyg500
The new sensor came with two wires abut 4 feet long encased in a sheath capable of replacing the original, front to rear. It also had the pin connectors installed. It did not include the plastic pin housing. They say to use the original.
Service manual tells you how to extract the old cable and insert the new one in its place but it looks like a lot of work.
Yes you have to reuse the original housing. Each pin is held in place by a tab (if I remember right). You have to use a small screw driver or similar to release the tab and the pin will pull out. Those are probably Deutsch Connectors. See if the video helps...

Old 11-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks Mike. I am familiar with how to remove pins and sockets from their respective housings. Am getting lazy in my old age. Went to buy a new housing today and the dealer did not have one so I guess I will have to man up and reuse the old one. Actually I was going to install the new sensor without removing the old one in case this is not my problem. Having to snake the sensor wires in and around many shields, frame parts etc is going to be a real pain in the A** so I decided to Gerry rig something before trying a actual install. Replace sensor, run wire along right frame member, plug it in to the harness behind the ECM and see what happens.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:28 AM
MikerR1
Banned

Thanks Mike. I am familiar with how to remove pins and sockets from their respective housings. Am getting lazy in my old age. Went to buy a new housing today and the dealer did not have one so I guess I will have to man up and reuse the old one. Actually I was going to install the new sensor without removing the old one in case this is not my problem. Having to snake the sensor wires in and around many shields, frame parts etc is going to be a real pain in the A** so I decided to Gerry rig something before trying a actual install. Replace sensor, run wire along right frame member, plug it in to the harness behind the ECM and see what happens.
I would have done it just like you did, meaning, I would buy a new housing and completely bypass the existing wiring harness.

I still think you should do that. Assuming the bike is not your main mode of transportation... order the connector.

How many pins are in the connector?

Old 11-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain

I reused the original housing today. Came apart real easy. Installed new CKP over existing running wires the easiest way I could find and burned a tank of gas today with no problems whatsoever.
Tomorrow begins the task of installing it according to service manuals procedures. Have allocated all day to do this. Not looking forward to stringing that cable in and around curves and through things. Have already reviewed the procedures and looks like a real pain in the you know what.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Rustyg500
Road Captain

got copy of dtc codes
'
23 - Front injector open/low
23 - Front injector high
'
32 - Rear injector open/low
32 - Rear injector high
32 - Alarm output high
'
41 - CKP Sensor intermittent
41 - CKP sensor sync error
41 - Ignition switch open/low

Old 11-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Rustyg500
Road Captain

So far;:
Replaced Crank Position Sensor (CPS).
Replaced system relay.
Replaced Spark Plugs (changed recently).
Cleaned the ignition switch.
'
And I still have a failure.
When pulling into the garage today the bike stalled on me.
put bike into neutral and on kick stand. Lights on dash still illuminated.
Hit the start button. No response whatsoever.
moved Run/Off button to OFF then back to RUN.
Hit Start button and bike immediately fired up.
'

Checked Ignition fuse with OHM meter. Appeared good but replaced it anyway.
' Kind of at a loss as to where to go from here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:47 AM
MikerR1
Banned

got copy of dtc codes
'
23 - Front injector open/low
23 - Front injector high
'
32 - Rear injector open/low
32 - Rear injector high
32 - Alarm output high
'
41 - CKP Sensor intermittent
41 - CKP sensor sync error
41 - Ignition switch open/low
Some important posts in this thread have been deleted, particularly the post regarding how to clear the codes on an 02 Road King. I am posting a link to that again...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post8767805

Having said that, you did not tell us if the codes listed above are new codes or a combination of new and old codes? Did you ever clear the old codes?

Are the above codes new codes or old codes(prior to you replacing the ckp sensor?

Here is a link to a thread in another forum where they are discussing a problem similar to yours.

http://www.hdtalking.com/threads/cod...code-56.48505/

Here is probably the most important sentence from the above discussion at the other forum...
"if the code was historical, the check light would not come on while riding."

Google (without the double quotes) "road king code 41" you will find a lot of stuff to read.

Last edited by MikerR1; 11-11-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain

Mike,
The post says use a scanalizer or 50 start and stops of the bike. I do not have a scanalizer and the 50 S/S would take some time and lots of battery, more time than between failures I am experiencing.
I just checked the codes and nothing new popped up just 23 32 and 41.
Turning the Run/off button off then back to run seems to reinitialize whatever is failing. Wish I would have the sense to let it sit in the failing state and grab my OHM meter.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:31 PM
MikerR1
Banned

Mike,
The post says use a scanalizer or 50 start and stops of the bike. I do not have a scanalizer and the 50 S/S would take some time and lots of battery, more time than between failures I am experiencing.
I just checked the codes and nothing new popped up just 23 32 and 41.
Turning the Run/off button off then back to run seems to reinitialize whatever is failing. Wish I would have the sense to let it sit in the failing state and grab my OHM meter.
A few days ago you said you replaced the CKP sensor and ran a full tank of gas through the bike and everything worked fine.

Then you said that you were going to hook up to the main wiring harness and do some other stuff. What exactly did you do after you first installed the sensor and thought it was working fine?

Old 11-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MikerR1
A few days ago you said you replaced the CKP sensor and ran a full tank of gas through the bike and everything worked fine.

Then you said that you were going to hook up to the main wiring harness and do some other stuff. What exactly did you do after you first installed the sensor and thought it was working fine?
After that successful day of riding I removed the old sensor running the new sensor wires through the harness at the same time, nothing else. Ran most of day then another faliure.
'
After that I replaced system relay and cleaned out the ignition switch. Then today I suffered the failure after a 50 mile ride. It failed while entering my garage after the ride.
Checked Ignition fuse and replaced it even though it tested good. Haven't ridden since.
Checked codes. No new stuff just the same three.
Hope I got the sequences right. I get confused sometimes.

Quick Reply: Stalling at speed + DTC's 24 32 41