General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unfinished project bike purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:27 PM
ruthead
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unfinished project bike purchase

Got a chance to purchase an unfinished project bike. As you will see i am not familiar with the Harley world. I think he said the motor was a '58 maybe but not sure if he said knucklehead or pan head. Did say he put shovelhead head and valves on it to let it breath better. He is/was a mechanic that is pretty picky and thats the only reason I'm considering. Said motor is rebuilt and readt to drop in except for transmission. Motor was oiled up and been in his climate controlled basement for 10 years. Wheels and hubs not laced but all there. Frame has slight rake. Said he didnt want a softail or hardtail but it was a swingarm frame(told you I don't know much about this stuff.) Has 3 different springer front ends. Did say he does not have a tranny for it but pretty much all the rest of the big stuff. Also a 6 gal tank. he is knida old school and said thats what he was envisioning. This would be a project bike for me with a good chance to own a Harley. Not looking to build then sell. Says he would like $4k for everything. i have no idea if thats a good deal or not. Any help, direction, suggestions welcomed. Am I crazy taking on something like this??

Old 11-06-2016, 06:06 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know if that's a good deal or not but I can say from experience that it will likely be a headache. It will keep you busy though, wrenching and research on the net every day. Plus, you hope there's nothing wrong with that engine when you fire it up..

Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,552 Posts

If your not sure if he said Pan or Knuck - or that 1958 should be a PanHead, and he's got a Shovel topend = Pan/Shovel, don't make any deals. If you're not a good mechanic, with fabrication skills, and a lot more money and time, it's probably not for you.

If you still have an interest get picture, #s, and a list of everything included.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Does it have a good title? If not pass on it. Depends what a project is to you. I know some people with the same project going for 20 years. If they plan on finishing it at all. May end up being a deal. If you want a bike to eventually ride I hope your a good mechanic as panheads aren't like a new bike. Even a electric start shovel is a improvement in reliability that would be welcome in a bar hopper.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:54 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Once I made a project out of the least desirable motorcycle. Why would anyone do a frame off rebuild/customiizing on a 1982 GS550L ?!!! I got more compliments on that bike than any bike I have had(two compliments total). Sometimes you need a good project - go for it!

Old 11-06-2016, 07:07 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

1) that is a basket case not a project bike
2) too much money for a basket - 1k basket 2k intact engine
3) you are the wrong guy, this is a 10k project if you have no skills or tools

Old 11-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

No comment on your bike in question. But, when considering "project bikes" you never know whether you'll need more money, time or skills.

You said, "Not looking to build then sell". In that case, will it ever be built while you are still young enough to ride?

Referencing the title, sometimes unfinished project bikes remain just that.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:34 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

They're called basket cases for a reason.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Not to sound like I am disrespecting you but just from reading your post it sounds as if you do not have much knowledge in this area. There is nothing wrong with that as we all have to learn somewhere. First it is hard to put a value on it without you knowing exactly what it is. If its a 58 then that eliminates the Knuckle. You mentioned a Shovel head top so my guess is a Pan/Shovel, 58 pan lower with a Shovel head. Depending on the frame, and the condition of the engine if it is what he claims and what the 3 springer front ends are and condition 4K may not be a bad a bad price at all. Depending on what the fronts ends are you could recoup half your money selling two of them.

What you need to ask yourself is do you have the space, tools and mechanical knowledge or at the very least a friend who has the knowledge and will work with you to undertake the project. As others said what you have is a basket case where and you can easily end up with double your initial investment by the time you have it all together.

The good part is at the end you will have a bike that you built yourself and you will have acquired a lot of knowledge and experience along the way. However if you are just looking for a chance to own an HD the classifieds are full of late model bikes that you can purchase for less than what you will end up in this bike for that can be ridden home this afternoon

Last edited by Mxdad; 11-07-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:51 AM
Bishop73
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You can pick up a nice shovel head running chop or running project for that price. As others have stated, if you aren't very knowledgeable on these bikes, and don't have much mechanical/fabrication experience, you should probably pass on this one.

Quick Reply: Unfinished project bike purchase