General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership People

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 03:18 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,961 Likes on 11,374 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
That's common sentiment in most industries, I think. Personally, I take great pleasure in telling people that I don't give a flying %#&$ that they hate flying, or that they missed their cruise because a flight was late, or that their bags were lost. "I DON'T CARE!". LMFAO!
Cops are the same way. They don't give a rats *** someone called you a ***** on Face Book. Nor do cops care your car was egged last night or your wedding reception was crashed by non-invited guests. Cops can't fix festering 20 year family social problems at 4am in 15 minutes. Cops can't help alcoholics and addicts unless they want the help.
Deaths of criminals involved in criminal activities are blessings known as delayed abortions.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:06 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I worked at a dealership in the Parts Department, for a couple years. Roughly, '06-'08. I discovered HDForums around that time. I often spoke of the internet and forums, telling customers to get ideas, come see me and we'll get it hooked-up.
A large percentage of new and/or first time Harley buyers go through a period of adjustment. From, I-gotta-have-all-Harley-and-maintain-the-warranty, to, eventually, buying their stuff on-line and doing a little wrenching. This takes about two years, in which time you sell 'em everything they want and some **** they didn't know they want. If they're an *******, you sell 'em **** they don't need and will never use. I never had a problem with discussing the internet, forums, or anything else they wanted to blab about. My job was to sell parts. Talking to customers, helps sell parts. It was extremely rare, however, that I would mention my occupation while participating in forum discussions. I checked the forums, regularly, as I still do, because I love the bikes, the info and the sense of humor. Mainly, I have a passion for Harley Davidsons. A lot of dealership employees, see it as simply a place to show up and get paid, like any other work place.
Thank God I don't work in retail, anymore. Harley dealer, or not.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 11-12-2016 at 07:11 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 11-12-2016, 09:00 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hession
I know if someone walked into my office with an issue and told me the fix from what they gathered on an Internet forum, I would be annoyed.. As well for class issues and recalls, I am just the IT technician, I have no idea wtf corporate is doing, planning to do or wants to do.
at least we get the correct answers here NOW, not in a week wrong.

I went to the the Doctor and told him what medicine I wanted, he didn't know it existed, it was just released(imitrex, years ago).

Old 11-12-2016, 10:39 PM
airjoe
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Do you think a guy that shovels sh*t all day goes on the Septic Tank forum at night?
Exactly!

Old 11-12-2016, 11:46 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by airjoe
Exactly!
Now, I will say - I do participate in several forums and Facebook groups made up of pilots! None that are made up of customers, though. LOL!

Old 11-13-2016, 12:52 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

Do you think a guy that shovels sh*t all day goes on the Septic Tank forum at night?
Well put! However . . . . .

Old 11-13-2016, 01:14 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,253 Likes on 3,821 Posts

I doubt many do. If you spend day after day working for HD at some level, what is your desire or motivation to spend your off work hours on a forum? You would have to be a true believer do so.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:27 AM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I know several dealership folks by first name from owners down. All nice folks but not a one claims or admits they even know this forum exists. Guess I could never work in a dealership!LOL

I asked a couple of weeks back while getting a 1000 miles service done how bad the problems are with the M8's. Got the deer in the headlights stare. What problems they asked?

The best one yet is I told a buddy how to reset the computer after a high idle situation on his 2012 FLHX. A few days went by before had a chance to do it and he started to question his memory. He could not reach me and calls the dealerships. The guy he spoke to in service said he had been doing this 30 years and had never heard that you can cycle the ignition on and off five times to reset it. That who ever told him that's was crazy and he needed to bring his bike in!
I was talking to a tech while eating lunch at a Hardees when my '12 was new.I mentioned the hi-idle and he told me about the "5-time switch cycle".It works,I still need to do it occasionally. Maybe you get better info when they are away from work?

Old 11-13-2016, 09:41 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,368 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Exactly.
Also while there are many on the Forum with knowledge, some are just typing as if they know things.
The last thing a dealership employee needs to get popped for is giving advice or information outside of working hours.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:54 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Technically, what happens here is called "crowd sourcing".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing

Quick Reply: Dealership People